Dental Insurance/Dental Savings Plan

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nonstopski, Jun 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    My company has great health insurance, but it doesn't include dental insurance.

For savings plans, I looked at this Dental Savings Plan: http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalplans/cignaplussavingsdentalplan?zipcode=20009&dentistId=0&f=p
    Cost
    $134 for the year.
    6 month checkup with discount (avg): $24
    In depth check up: $38
    Full mouth x ray (going to new dentist, so I assume I'll need this): $78
    Four bitewing xray (not sure what this is): $30
    Adult teeth cleaning: $46
    Filling: $85.

Lets assume I get the 6 month checkup (in depth), full mouth xray, and a teeth cleaning. That's $296.. I live in Washington, DC and will likely go to dentist in the K Street area. So... I'm already thinking their average prices are on the low end. So, it may be more like $325-$350.

The true "insurance" plan I looked at the My Cigna Dental 1000: http://www.cigna.com/assets/docs/in...mon/863900-sob-mycigna-stand-alone-dental.pdf

Which costs $27 a month, which comes out to $324 a year. The deductible is $50, which is waived for "preventative services." There is a $0 fee for preventative services, like x rays, cleanings, fluoride, etc. You pay 20% for fillings, and 50% for more serious things.

To me... these are essentially the same and therefore I should go with the insurance.

I was curious what you all thought. At age 24, this is only the second time I've had dental insurance on my own (and the last time I was given 3 options and a subsidy from my employer).

Other option is to go without insurance, but that sounds slightly crazy to me. I have enough money to be a bit careful...

2. tcorbs

tcorbs Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm very fortunate to have health & dental insurance as part of the benefits offered at my job. I also have a second job that offers health & dental insurance to those working 40 hours or more, the problem is this business only offers part-time employment to those working in the department I'm working in. Many of my co-workers are very frustrated as a result.