DEN-Europe. UA two segments or LH one?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gone to PRG and CDG this year from DEN on UA/CO. All four flights (there/back) have been DEN-IAD-Europe. I have gotten upgraded domestically 3/4, always E+ on the international. Am I better off taking LH direct to FRA? Tickets are usually similar price, I can't stand paying for drinks in E+ on international legs, longer flight would help with sleep, and don't need the segments for status. But I give up potential domestic first and E+. I'm leaning towards LH in the future. wwmpd?

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you anywhere near MM status on UA? I've never flown LH Y so I can't help you with how painful that might be. But I hate IAD int'l arrivals. I'm not a big fan of FRA connections either. I'm thinking the domestic F, int'l E+ in addition to the fact that you will still have to connect if flying LH might tip the scales in UA's favo(u)r. Additionally, your carry-on police won't be as bad at UA. How about PRG trips on LH and CDG on UA? Problem solved!

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH Y sucks and unless you drink a LOT on the plane you're looking at <$50 each way (and that's actually a lot to drink).

I do think that the longer segment for the red-eye is great but for CDG I'd make my connection in IAH over FRA and not have a second thought on it. For PRG I'd probably take the one connection over two but otherwise I'd go with the convenience of the route over the cost of booze in Y.

If you're just going to FRA then the non-stop makes a decent amount of sense, but FRA isn't a particularly great connection point and the 2.5-3 hours of UA domestic F doesn't make up for a 6 hour TATL flight to barely sleep on IMO.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were to get upgraded on the way to IAD, I would not need a lot of drinks on the connecting flight to EU. Heck, there *also* a United Club at IAD to get myself ready for the TATL portion.

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not at all better off taking Lufthansa - their Coach product sucks (and their alcohol selection ain't that great, either) and LH EQM earnings for the new Mileage Plus has not yet been clarified. If you really need to take someone other than UACO over the water, use AC via YYZ, YYC or YVR -- better product than LH, free booze inflight, Maple Leaf lounges trump most United Clubs in quality, and you'll likely get better MQM earnings than LH longhaul, too. And since AC is part of the JV, it coordinates pricing with UACO and LH, so flight options using AC won't cost more so long as inventory is available and routing is allowed by fare rules.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    More to the point, there is also the LH lounge in IAD. :cool:

7. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good. Thank you for settling that for me. I'll still consider the LH if it's much cheaper or if I go multi segment (like PRG) to cut down on the transfers. AC is also a good option to check out.

8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Having just done YUL-BRU-YUL in AC Y...I would definitely suggest you consider them. MLLs are so much better than UCs (and I'd say on-par with the IAD LH lounge), booze is free (and they had no problem with requests for more in the galley after meal service in either direction), and, depending on equipment, you can score up to 33" in a regular Y seat. On the outbound, we were seated in the front Y section of the 767 with 33" pitch and on the return in the back with 31" pitch. Both were acceptable, but the 33" pitch was noticeably better. Seat comfort was fine and the AVOD (when it worked) was fine. Decent selection...although rather poor response times. FYI, I've never flown in longhaul LH Y.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know when you going but there are labour issues with AC at this time, be sure to check out what is going on before you book.

10. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH-CDG is currently on the 762 which is not getting E+ as UA is looking to sell them as soon as possible.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I think LH's FA's and food are superior to UA, even in Y, their hard product isn't. They fly the 747-400 on DEN-FRA and there are virtually no Y seats with extra legroom, they are tight seats, and the only way to get one of very few seats with extra legroom is at the gate, if they aren't already committed. The interior and video systems are old. LH's C is angled lie-flat, so not great either. LH F is awesome, and if you buy any C-fare (including Z) you can upgrade to F with a SWU, though only within 24 hours based on availability. I think DEN-FRA is a pretty easy upgrade to get.

If you care about million miler credits, as of 1/1/12 flights on LH no longer count toward million miler.

I would select aircraft with Y+ seating, which probably means going via IAD or ORD since as far as I know only the CO 752's have completed the upgrade to Y+ so far.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this had been changed so that UA paper SWUs could no longer be used to upgrade on LH from Z fares into IFC. Has it been changed back again?

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it late Nov 2011. Was able to be confirmed the night before at FRA and the agent was very familiar with the process. Got BPs so that I could enjoy the FCT. Has it changed since then?

14. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are only two nonstops DEN to Europe (BA to LHR, LH to FRA). Both take only 9 hours versus 12+ hours with a connection. Also, both leave late at night and get in a little before noon the next day, versus flying mid-day to a connecting city and then arriving early in the morning. If it was me I would suffer the cramped LH economy seat but look for a departure with light loads and room to stretch out into adjoining seats.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If longer flight/more sleep is the bigger and only priority, then LH Y is the way to go. Personally, I wouldn't, but I am tall. And I couldn't care less about alcohol (in a lounge or on a plane).

Also, if you are accustomed to carrying a heavier 22" roll-a-board on UA, you won't be able to do that on LH. Nine out of 10 CSRs will want to inspect and weigh your carry-ons. Have noticed GAs doing it more and more at FRA. You might get away with it to Europe, but coming back you can forget it.

I've flown LH 446/447 several times....I like it. But upgrades are a priority for me, so I make sure I fly in non-peak times. I like the schedule of LH's DEN-FRA route.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown on LH 747 in coach in a decade and have no plans to do so, but it is my understanding that they are in the progress of upgrading coach with AVOD (pic) -- see this FT thread and this list.

For me personally, that doesn't matter, though. Neither does free booze. I'll bring my iPad, "enjoy" E+ (if needed) and pay for my drinks if I run out of chits. That's less than $20/flight for me.

17. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can get E+, UA is the way to go.

18. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some folks fill some or all of their three carry-on 100 ml bottles w/ "special mouthwash". Helps to get that bad taste out of your mouth, or prevent its arrival, for $7/drink charges on UA.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard there's some Scottish flavor that's quite good.

20. johnmontfx

johnmontfx Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd definitely skip the Lufthansa Y class.

What about UA942 ORD->CDG? Quick flight from DEN and you get an extra two hours on the long leg of the flight. I do this flight a couple of times year (I live in Chicago).