Delta's use of temps worries full-timers

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

A Delta Air Lines program that uses temporary workers for numerous positions at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is drawing fire from the carrier's full-time staffers who say it jeopardizes their jobs and pay.

The program, called Ready Reserve, was rolled out at MSP last year and employs 165 seasonal workers. It's an extension of Delta's temporary workforce program already in place at all seven of its hubs nationwide.

The MSP hub was unionized under Northwest Airlines, but after Delta bought the carrier in 2008, workers voted to get rid of the union. That allowed the company to bring the Ready Reserve program to MSP. Delta is the only major U.S. airline that has such a program.
  2. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

I can definitely see why full time workers would be worried about temporary workers. Don't a number of other airlines use agencies (Menzies, Swissport, etc.) and intensely cheap labor for their ground operations (e.g. most of the foreign carriers operating INTL flights in the U.S., and I think Alaska is also doing this)??

And no doubt Delta is probably also thinking about Northwest's old - and very controversial - plans to have super cheap, non-American flight attendants as well. They can get away with it now that they've torpedo'd away union organizations.

Either way, it bodes ill for the future. I like having ticket and gate agents who I'm familiar with each time I go to my favorite airports and even the same F.A.'s who travel on my usual routes.
    sobore likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

It's not about what "they can get away with," it's about what most passengers will pay for.

If DL's fares are 5% to 10% higher because they have better paid staff, how do you think that will impact potential customers' decisions as to what carrier to fly?

This isn't about companies intentionally sc**wing staff...this is about airlines reacting to how American customers select fare!!
    techguru and LETTERBOY like this.