Delta's Trojan Horse Inside Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ItsADryCold, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not flown Alaska Airlines a single segment this year and I'm already mare than halfway to Gold requalification. Alaska's crazy high airfares combined with their LCC product have driven me to fly Delta.

It appears Delta has been very clever in extending benefits to AS elites. I've been running 50% on upgrades, and the cleanliness of the planes and overall quality of the experience has definitely been north of expected. DL now has access to a pool of FFers who are conditioned to paying high prices for LCC quality and can now pick them off one by one simply by offering their own existing product.

Have we AS elites been suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

With all of the downgrades the past couple of years, Alaska really isn't any great shakes anymore. I'm through with paying more for less and will be flying DL for the time being. I'll stick with Mileage Plan for accrual for now, but AS needs to get its act together.

2. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like those DL flights between ANC & SLC or MSP. Any time that you can stay out of SEA coming or going to Alaska you can save a bunch of dollars.

Exiled in Express and jackal like this.
  3. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to think that for domestic flights, AS offers a better product, and more attentive service. Plus more flights- but this is from the perspective flying from ANC... but this is on non-premium routes.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Move to the lower 48 and that won't be the case anymore... Heck, even from ANC DL fares are generally lower than AS's to the east coast most of the time.

As for the F product, I would put DL's F product near dead last just ahead of US Airways who does not serve meal on any flights under 3 hours :td: FWIW, I had one dinner flight a month ago with US and was pleased with the meal...

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you mistype and mean to refer to Alaska's F product? AS and US' old America West planes have similar F seats providing similar levels of discomfort.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I didn't :D My biggest gripe with DL is that they do not serve hot meals on breakfast and lunch flights... The cereal is not that very appetizing as the omelet that is offered on most carriers. During lunch flights DL only offers cold sandwich or salad... However, the snack basket is a big plus...

As a matter of fact, I am ranking AS's F seats dead last and US-West's Airbus seats [733s are awful, but they are going away] are slightly better than AS's... US-East seats are much better than AS's. However, US-West's F seats are wider than AS's and have more pitch, but the same sucky recline.

Seat wise:

VX-even if I have never flown on them, it is given :p
    UA
    AA- even the pukey brown 757 seats are rather comfortable, just needs a headrest... AA's new F seats are awesome though, but I don't think they will be installed on the mad dogs...
    CO
    DL
    US
    AS

I am not factoring in FL's seat, because WN is going to get rid of them...

7. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm so conditioned to not being fed by AS in and out of ANC that I don't even factor-in food as part of my judgement. I judge domestic F by the seat quality, availability of power points, and availability and quality of AVOD. Alaska Airlines is terrible in each of these regards.

And DL? The F seats are similar to UA's, no?

8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Edited my list :oops:

UA is much better than DL... DL's seat does not even have headrests... The only downfall with UA's seats is that they do not have AC power ports, but many of them have those empower ports...

The seats were ranked by seat comfort...

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    What exactly do you find problematic about 32" seat pitch in Y, the ability to re-use the money that you spend flights without a fee for changes/cancellations, a good customer service culture and 737s?

If anything, AS's similarities to certain LCCs make them BETTER than legacies for me, not worse- for instance, as a 1P on UA or Gold Medallion on DL, I would spend many hundreds of dollars a year changing flights that I don't spend as a MVP Gold on AS. If that means a hummus plate in F, I'll eat the rabbit food and spend some money occasionally on food at the airport, or beg for hot BOB once the Y passengers are served.

Nope. I value certain things more than certain other things, and "do they give me caviar and chateaubriand when I get my upgrade on my $80 SEA-LAX ticket" isn't something I think is a legitimate concern. When it comes to AS F I just don't expect much from an "enhanced" product few people want to actually spend cash money for, but instead expect to have given to them gratis (note that the transcons are better... and people tend to actually buy F on the transcons). I know it's a bit different for someone stuck in ANC than me in SEA, but those are the breaks.

All I have to say is for those of you wishing AS's F was more like DL's, be careful what you ask for. You might get it... via merger. :eek:

Disagree. They're the worst F I've sat in. Of course, I don't find the AS seats uncomfortable, so I may be an outlier- I don't really see a difference between UA Airbus F and AS F. I just did not like the AA seats.

10. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew in that seat on a 5 hour flight SJU-DFW and I did not have a sore back upon arrival like I normally experience with AS... FWIW, those seats will be gone in a few years and are being replaced by seats than AS F cannot compete with.

UA F and AS F, night and day... UA's head rest are better, their seats have far more cushion, the armrest are comfortable [not hard plastic], and has a lot more recline than AS.

Yes, it is all a matter of personal preference, but I am willing to bet that the majority will pick UA's seat over AS's.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I flew in that seat LAX-JFK (last minute equipment sub that took me out of AFS J on a 762, and on a redeye, too :mad:) and JFK-LAS, two transcons in three days. Ouch. In this case, I had the sore back that I don't seem to be getting on AS these days (maybe the Mad Dogs were giving it to me?). I stand by my statement. I think the 757 is called the SlAAveship for a reason.

I recognize that my opinions on UA F seats (not a big improvement over AS F) are a decided minority. -shrug- I do think, though, that everyone's standard-issue F* seats are smoked by VX's F (save for DL's JFK transcons, which use the same model Recaros, just in much more boring colors), to the point that it's ridiculous. That gap between VX and UA is a chasm.

In any event, getting back to the OP's point, is the summary "AS F sux, so fly DL"? Try flying a DL CRJ BUR-SLC, connecting to another CRJ SLC-SEA. There is often no luxurious F cabin for me to upgrade to as an AS elite, just a cramped seat with 30" pitch, and no IFE. If I want to fly UA to LAX or BUR, oh, hai, it's CRJ tiem, or if I want to go to LAS, let's play the exciting roulette game of "how bad will the ATC hold at SFO be THIS flight". WN going to LAX? Please to be taking a stop in SLC or SMF or OAK or RNO.

*yes I know about AFS, PS, BusinessFirst and international configured birds flying domestic routes. Which is mostly useless to me in SEA; all we get is the standard issue ones, save when DL sends one of their nice planes from JFK every blue moon.

12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, I hate it when that happens... Did AA compensate you? after all you purposely booked that flight and expected the services as advertised, which they obviously failed to deliver in this case.. Nonetheless it still sucks :(

I'll admit the 757s are a dump and it is in dire need of a interior overhaul, including the seats... AA seems to be in the progress of doing that, however, their top priority is to standardize the 738s first, so once that is done the 757s are next...

The Mad Dog F seats, ewww.

The VX F seats ruined it for everybody ;)

I was #3 on the upgrade waitlist for LAX-JFK flight on DL a few weeks ago.... I know I am never getting that upgrade, but at least, I am not as low on the list as I usually find myself on LAX-ATL :rolleyes:

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, the ticket was VDB compensation, the upgrade was 15,000 miles delay compensation (that I didn't actually suffer all the way through since I took the VDB, told them to cancel my LAS-LAX leg, and got a ride from LAS to LAX, and flew home LAX-SEA 6 hours late instead of 19), and I DID sit in F, plus they let me into the JFK AAdmiral's Club for free when I was expecting to pay (I don't think you get the freebie on upgraded J, just paid).

So stamping my feet and asking for MOAR COMPENSATION... well, seemed like a bit overkill to me. Just kinda blew because an AA AFS J upgrade on a paid Y ticket isn't all that easy for a AS elite to come by- we don't get stickers. (It would be very cool if we could buy stickers at the elite rate if AA and AS hook up.)

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    BUR-SLC is all CR2s, so no F at all. SLC-SEA is all CR7 and above, so there should be F on those flights. Either way you're guaranteed at least one coach leg.

15. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if I agree with all of your comments. I'm a UA GS and Delta Diamond, and I find that the food in F usually has a hot and cold selection on both UA and Delta. I also don't find either carrier's seats to be inferior to AS's. Where AS shines is in its redemption options for its FF program. I am thinking of crediting enough to make MVP75k on AS this year because of the 4 certs and I fly OAK-KOA frequently on AS.

16. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the meal... IME, Delta rarely serves hot meals during breakfast/lunch flights... Usually breakfast is the cereal only and lunch is a cold sandwich or a cold salad...

On UA/CO/AA/etc you have a choice of a hot meal or cold meal on all meal flights, not two cold meals... Unless DL changed their meal service in the last few months...

For seat, I value three things, cushion, recline, and headrests... AS's seats' cushioning is minimal and the recline is paltry, however, AS headrest is decent, but does not always hold my head... CO has the same issue, but not UA. Power ports and AVOD is a bonus and CO/DL excels here...

techguru likes this.
  17. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's because a headrest isn't actually attached to many AS F seats.

18. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice Avatar.:cool:

19. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it's completely movably, up and down, and flexible. Fits me just fine.

20. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's only missing on the -700s and -400s. The -700s' F seats do, though, and I think some (but not all?) of the -400s F do. But Y on those aircraft does indeed suck. :)