Delta's reaction to tornado's in the south

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Jim, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a meeting scheduled for yesterday and two associates coming into BHM from IND.

I tried to contact the meeting sponsor at 6AM to find out if we were still on but with a lack of cell phone towers, power, and internet in North Alabama; no luck.

By the time my colleages arrived (Late on DL) the meeting had been cancelled by the sponsor with a text message.

Delta's response was a $450.00 charge per ticket to rebook them on a return flight yesterday instead of their scheduled departure from BHM this morning.

Sorry, two words for DL on this one

PISS POOR! :mad:

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand. Was the meeting cancelled BECAUSE your two colleagues were late due to DL's delays or would the meeting have been cancelled anyway because of the tornadoes that hit the area, possibly knocking out power, water, transportations? And was DL's delay their fault--i.e., MX and not WX?

3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meeting was cancelled because of tornado's that killed over 200 people in Alabama alone. DL routinely allows changes at no charge for other things, but apparantly tornado's in the south didn't warrant it.
    and this was after, DL delivered PAX 45 minutes late.

4. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Delta does normally allow changes when weather causes problems, so it is surprising that they were not more flexible in this situation. Was the $450 fare increase or did it include a rebook fee?

5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta allows such changes when the weather makes them cancel flights. That was not the case here.

6. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Change fee plus higher ticket fee...

I noted to them they did not reduce the inbound ticket for the late arrival which arrived ten minutes after the later (scheduled) less expensive flight....

7. justinhamlin
    Original Member

justinhamlin Active Member

Status Points:
    I was flying Delta JFK-ATL yesterday and they had FILLED every plane with 20-40 standby's not making it, routing everyone they could to Atlanta to try and find different ways home (anywhere in the midwest was basically a crapshoot for Delta)

So now every plane was at or past capacity, and with the horrible weather at JFK delaying and canceling flights pretty much all day, basically, they were shoving everyone to Atlanta to get them out of JFK. I sat next to an old woman that they booked her to Atlanta, with a connection to Minneapolis, not counting the delays, if EVERYTHING was on time, she would have had 8 minutes to make it from the arrival gate (C55) to departure gate (B22). 8 minutes for a 70+ year old woman. Do you think the flight attendants did anything to help her? Nope. They *should* have at least gotten her to the front of the plane to get off first, but they basically told her that 3/4 of the plane had transfers and that she would have to wait in line like everyone else.

Just a piss-poor attitude by Delta and all of their people.

To top it off, the lady missed her plane (we were delayed over an hour on the tarmac leaving JFK because of weather) and Delta had no more flights to Minneapolis that night, so the lady was preparing to spend the night in the Atlanta airport, all because Delta couldnt get her from JFK to Minneapolis on her 9am flight.

Just sad sad misses all over the place for Delta yesterday