Delta's new transcon 752 BizE seats: same as UA and AA

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta provided a "sneak peek" today of their planned new BizE seats on the 75E planes serving JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. Starting in early 2015 they will get flat-bed seats which are pretty much identical to the seats UA has been using for years on their sCO 752s and which both UA and AA are putting on their transcon fleets.
    [​IMG]

Not all that surprising, though a bit of a let down compared to the new JetBlue offering. At best this move gets Delta to the middle of the pack.

In the back Economy Comfort goes to 44 seats of 35" pitch each and 108 seats with 31" pitch.

Read more:
    http://takingoff.delta.com/post/57423437462/inside-delta-take-a-peek-inside-the-new-757-200
    http://boardingarea.com/thewanderingaramean/2013/08/deltas-new-transcon-product-also-flat-beds/
    http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/08/05/delta-unveils-new-757-200-business-class/
    http://thepointsguy.com/2013/08/del...-upgrade-coming-to-businesselite-and-economy/

DiverDave likes this.
  2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think JetBlue is going to struggle with their new product. Only 4 of the 16 new seats will be the private type. It's a whole new market for the blue guys, and their core customers are not going to like it if the seat pitch in coach is sharply reduced to make room for the new seats up front. I haven't seen anything definitive, but it seems likely.

DL, UA, and AA have the power of their alliances and frequent flier programs, even though DL is handicapped by the negative perceptions of Skypesos.

Delta's 16 inch monitors do look pretty spiffy. :cool:

David

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, only 4 are the private suites, but the other 12 are still longer beds than anything anyone else has on the market in a comparable 2-2 layout. Plus more TV channels, faster WiFi and supposedly a lower fare. I'm not sure they're going to hurt too badly in this competition.

Also, JetBlue will have 33" for economy and 37" for Even More Space (their version of Economy Comfort) which are 1" less than the A320 but still more than DL, AA, VX* or UA.

*VX MCS is 38".

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    VX is boned. Close to broke and everyone just threw in a bunch of chips into the pot in the form of things like hard product upgrades to lie-flat on transcon, or SFO-LAX shuttle service, and it's VX's turn to ante or fold.

5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a real shame, too. At least in terms of seats, I actually think VX's recliners in F are more comfy than the flat bed offerings on every transcon except for redeyes. Of course, I don't back this preference up with my business (preferring UA+AA) as so many other things about them fall short. You're right, they're boned.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    VX was mostly flash and not substance. Their F seat was marginally better than the premium transcon competition when they launched but trying to sell it on shorter flights won't gain the yields it needs to justify taking up that much space on the plane. And they didn't want a subfleet. Plus, in coach they're really nothing special. And that's where most customers are sitting.

eponymous_coward likes this.