Delta's claim that 50k miles can get you a transatlantic flight - a lie?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by cafeconleche, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have NEVER been able to find a ticket for 50k miles, no matter how far in advance I try. Delta is shite.

misman, BondAir007, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, cafeconleche.

The lowest redemption level for SkyMiles across the Atlantic is 30k miles each way, so a total of 60k. Not sure where you've seen DL claiming 50K for a trans-Atlantic flight. Tickets for 60k can be found, but it's harder during high season and can take some hunting. If you've got specific dates and cities (origin and destination), perhaps some around here can give you some tips.

icurhere2 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    well, nothing for 50k I found loads of 60k availability ATL or JFK to SVO in August and November, and I even found a bunch of 60k JFK-CDG in December, and MAD in January. You just have to book a destination where no one wants to go at a time when no one wants to go there.

I'd suspect they'll take us to Siberia in January for 50k, but that's about it. :eek:

4. I was able[​IMG]. But it was in 2007: SVO-SFO and SAN-SVO return.
    Ii was my first booking of SM award, I spent less than 15 minutes to complete the booking without any troubles and
    total price was 50000 SM and $50+ taxes[​IMG].
    Comparing with current 60000SM + $300+ taxes it was a very good deal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    No one answered the question where DL is claiming TATL for 50K (or was that 2007 too?)

travelgourmet, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  6. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I you tried booking on AF or KL (I assume you meant 60K instead of 50)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. I actually didn't see DL claiming 50K TATL awards since 2009.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Hah, you're right, it doesn't say 50k anymore! The last time I checked (about 6 months ago), I think that WAS a possibility, but I never saw a ticket for that amount of miles: http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/

Also, never was able to find 25k ticket for within the US, even far in advance. I just feel Skymiles has been sub-par. My brother's American miles have been a boon! Great programme.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not then. I travel often to SVO then. There are lots of people traveling during the Russian Christmas holidays, the country pretty much shuts down the first half of the month and everybody is heading out of the country of to country destinations including a few in Siberia.

Nice try, though [​IMG]

10. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never managed to get a r/t TLV-USA for the low price in both directions (which would be 60,000 miles each way in Biz Elite,) but I did get the low price in one direction and the medium price on the return and was thrilled with that rare success.

jason8612, lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  11. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I haven't redeemed very much DL in a long time. I only have 97K (half due to 5K Budget rentals & some being old NW miles. I plan to redeem for travel on AS. I saw 40K/ticket (2 seats) for FC to Anchorage last summer. Not bad. ;)

I miss the old days (10 yrs ago or so) where I had no problem using 25K for a transcon. Always saw medium/high for transatlantics.

lisamcgu likes this.
  12. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen them and I've helped people book them. But as Gargoyle said, you have to fly places most people don't want to go at times they don't want to be there.

13. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    HaHa....have you read the Great MilePoint Delta Domestic Award Survey?

14. jb831
    Original Member

jb831 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The key to redeeming SkyPesos for international travel: Partner airlines.

The Points Guy likes this.
  15. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    YUP!!! YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!! -- THEY MAKE YOU WORK VERY HARD TO FIND A FLIGHT FOR "NORMAL" PLACES AND "TIMES "-- BEST LOG IN AND LOOK FOR ONE WAY TO LOCATE FIRST LEG , THEN DO SAME FOR RETURN -- AND IF WERE LUCKY THEN TRY DATES AS A R/T

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. I'm able to redeem 100k SkyMiles for TATL J return by planning far in advance and having some flexibility.

I've not tried to redeem 50K SkyMiles for TATL Y return.

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Well, even with partner airlines, one has to book through Delta, which I have tried (I just check the partner airline box), but still no luck. I just signed up for a United Chase credit card. I am switching alliances! I just hope that I can redeem the Delta miles with minimum waste :(

18. NYC101
    Original Member

NYC101 Active Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't it 50K before DL increased it to 60K in Feb?

19. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes i think it was that in the past but can't remember exactly when. i do pretty well to find the 60K TATL flights and i like that you can sort of mix/match Business/Coach class. i can do okay at 80K for the same flight schedule. is it the best redemption? don't know as it is YMMV for all things DL these days. [​IMG]

20. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any trouble finding a domestic F award ticket for 100K miles, I say with tongue in cheek.

geoffco likes this.
  21. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've held my tongue through the devaluation to SkyPeso's, aware of the general decline in value and the butchering of the award chart, yet being relatively successful in finding low level awards for a majority of the itineraries I was searching for.

This morning, however, was a slap in the face. I needed a DTW-EWR o/w and an ORD-DTW o/w. Knowing the DL fare on DTW-EWR would be outrageous, i did an award search... mid-week, in September. 80k miles... That was a round trip in J to Europe a few years ago. Now it's 2.5 hrs on regional jets...

Easy solution was a throwaway CO ow DTW-EWR-xxx and a ow ORD-DTW on UA. $200 total.

My SkyPeso's can sit and decline in value, UA can have my money.

22. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had more luck finding 25K domestic tickets on very short notice. The last two times have been less than 48 hours before the flights, for family emergencies.

23. Oh wow that's quite some luck!

24. I have always been able to find domestic R/Ts for 25k on Delta, often with same-day bookings. Most recently, I redeemed ATL-HOU for 25k and got upgraded on both legs.

I also recently redeemed 120k to India through Delta.com, with 3 of the 4 flights in Business, through CDG, all Air France flights.

The trick is to find the low one-way flights or legs, then build your trip accordingly.

Blue Skye likes this.
  25. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never booked a ticket for other then the low mileage on Delta so I guess I am lucky, but I am also very flexible with my travel plans. The devaluation I can see is the increased mileage requirement for intra-asia.