Delta's 2015 Award Chart Has Been Released (Early)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mooper, Mar 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now the question is, how many level 1-3 awards will you be able to find?
    Of which ~50% is the level 3, so it all depends on availability.

File attached for posterity.

Attached Files:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well after reviewing this chart I'm going to burn whatever SkyPesos I have left and be done with this worthless program.

Sammich and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling that the current saver level will split into level 1&2, standard into level 3,4 and peak will be level 5.
    And level 1 and 3 will be hard to grab especially in business class.

5. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's a major fail for international award itineraries on partners, since I expect you will need a level 1 award to get to the gateway city.

The chart is nice to have, but we won't know crap until the new search goes live and we see just how ghastly the results look.

David

gregm and USAF_Pride like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A truly awful deal for low-value customers! Other than adding a couple of new levels, the redemption costs will pretty much stay the same, but the ability to earn redeemable miles will go down dramatically for everyone but high-value customers who can afford to book tickets to fly in premium cabins. It will be the end of FF as we have known it if UA and AA should emulate this monstrosity. This is great incentive for me to hurry up and make MM so that I can exit the FF game...

gregm, Max M, mht_flyer and 1 other person like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    A million miles is a lot and no matter how I look at it... it remains a lot and seems almost impossible to reach if one's job does not have HIGH travel requirements...

Probably the only reason why this is one thing that has barely changed over the years.

If you managed to fly 1 million miles (or 2 or 3 or...), they owe you. At 100,000 miles a year, it takes 10 years. At 50,000 miles a year, it takes 20 years... all very high bars to me.

For those who are 2,3,4 million-milers.... I simply salute you.

redtailshark and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the end of this year I will be at ~850K, then I will fly ~150K miles the following year, likely my penultimate year if the new game in town is fully revenue-based a la DL, and be permanently done...

redtailshark likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reached 1MM on UA at the end of 2013. It took me 20 years (I just the other day found my original 1993 CO and 1994 UA membership cards). It took me so long because I don't have a job that involves a lot of employer-funded travel (I'd guess I flew less than 50k PQMs on corporate dime, all in coach unless I self-upgraded at my own cost).

I doubt I will reach 2MM, and it's certainly not something I am even thinking about.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I joined MileagePlus in February of 2002, so I am projecting to make 1MM in 13 or 14 years (definitely by 2016). I was pleasantly surprised when I got the following in 02/2011:
    UA-MP-ANNIVERSARY.png
    Apparently a short-lived practice...

I could make 2MM in less time because making 1MM includes years when I did not fly 100K miles a year. However, I may try for 2MM only if there is no general migration to the revenue-based system...

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. At first glance, it looks good to have so many of the Biz rates go down, but I bet they are sure as heck going to be very hard to find. Oh well, I guess we just wait. I'll try to book as many vacations in advance of January as I can.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bupkiss ! All you get is ..."Mr XXX thanks for being ..." at international checkin, and an ack in flight when the Flight Crew comes around for meal or drinks order, if that. No free drinks in coach, no nada !

gregm and Sammich like this.
  13. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta's "enhanced" SkyMiles program: designed for the 1%, but meant to gouge everyone.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  14. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the email I just received. Sure, there are "more seats", we believe you!!

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  15. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just tried dummy booking something for January and it still comes up with the old pricing.

gregm likes this.
  16. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad they released the award chart. A functional award calendar and actual availability will be where the rubber meets the road. As it is, I live in Atlanta, the overwhelming majority of my business flights are contracted to Delta, and I actually like the airline. I'll be sticking around, but that won't stop me from picking up as many other mileage currencies as I can for random travel needs.

Gargoyle and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to book at the old rate until the end of the year, no?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    HVCs aren't just those who purchase high-priced or premium seats. They can also be hardcore weekly business travelers.

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, what the point you tried to make does is to expose quite effectively just how perverse the whole revenue-based FF system will be. A simple example will illustrate my point. We have two frequent flyers, A and B. Both are Diamond Medallion (DM) elites. Both are required to fly for business between JFK and SFO 3 times a week. The only difference is that DM A's company books his RT TRANSCON flights in F, whereas DM B's company is cheap and flies their man exclusively in Y. This example is realistic and objectively illustrative because it compares apples and apples, except when it comes to the cabin of service. In your opinion, which of these two DM Elites does DL consider a HCV. While you are at it and using this scenario, can you estimate how many redeemable miles DM A will accumulate compared to DM B, even though they both fly exactly the same number of miles weekly? It's very lopsided! That is really why this whole system is perverse. If they can afford to travel only in Y, your "hardcore weekly business travelers" will get jack compared to equivalent travelers who can afford to travel in premium cabins. Under the current FF system, everyone gets the same number of miles between the same two points, and those who can afford to pay more for premium cabins get compensated extra for shelling out. Under the fully revenue-based system a la DL, this established baseline equity that made thing somewhat fairer is eliminated.:(

gregm likes this.
  20. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will agree. I am never afforded the luxury of purchasing an F ticket for work, unless that's all thats left. In the past, being labeled an HVC wasn't necessarily tied to ticket price or class of service. Sadly, that might not be what the future holds. I'm prepared to hang on for the ride, no pun intended, and see how I do in the next couple of years. I've been understanding about everything except this ridiculous revenue based earning structure.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  21. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a good call.

My situation is worse...I'm just below 600k lifetime PQM on UA because I'm a recent convert. I rack up 120-140k PQM per year most years...but, the odds of the UA program remaining intact for the time it would take me to make that threshold - more than three years from now - and assuming travel continues at the current rate - are not encouraging.

If I had comped to CO when I moved to TUS - instead of remaining with NW - all those CO miles would be lifetime UA ones now....but then again, back then NW WP was absolutely best in class and I used it for all it was worth. I don't regret that. I also feel good about immediately bailing on DL in 2009 as soon as the merge closed....I didn't have to feel cheated, robbed and insulted by DL SM management in the five years since then.

Now I do have MM on DL...but we all know what that's worth. Seriously, it doesn't incentivize a bean of custom for DL.

22. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just searched this trip, my usual holiday travel, MIA-OTP, OTP-FLL. The return is in 2015. I'm not sure why the last segment, ATL-FLL came out in Y, but who cares and you never know....I could get up front. 125,000 miles without excessive layovers is not bad at all.

Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 8.57.09 PM.png

Flyer1976 likes this.
  23. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    newest email from DL. Not sure how I earn 75k on a single trip as they offer no details

WilliamQ likes this.
  24. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    No details? Odd. Not sure how they do most of the math, but doesn't everyone get a 50% bonus for BE?

WilliamQ likes this.
  25. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If guess it's if you had any paid J flights the email you to say you'll be better off.

gregm and WilliamQ like this.