Delta won't redeem gift certificates online

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Dec 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://articles.mcall.com/2011-12-2...20111224_1_certificates-fares-delta-air-lines

If you received the gift of travel for Christmas in the form of an airline gift certificate, be aware that policies at some airlines may make them inconvenient to use or water down the value of that gift by subjecting you to fees.

Some airlines won't let you redeem gift certificates online. They make you buy tickets by phone or at a ticket counter, where you could be hit with fees.

Read More: http://articles.mcall.com/2011-12-2...20111224_1_certificates-fares-delta-air-lines

rwoman likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It gives another meaning to the scrooge that stole Christmas :(

rwoman and sobore like this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know from redeeming gift cards over the phone that aren't able to be booked online, I am usually able to get the phone agent to wave the fee telling them that this ticket is un-bookable on-line and therefor am forced to book over the phone.

rwoman and zshanlon like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the article states, even the website states that DL gift certificates can only be redeemed using a travel agent or through a ticket office. I completely agree that this is an outdated process!

I know DL has charged the $25 phone/in person ticketing charge for a long time - I thought many of the other carriers did the same...of coruse, for an infrequent traveler, they would probably not be aware of this.

5. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for you! I dislike wimpy travelers. Always ask nicely and state your case. If your desire is normal and reasonable you will most likely prevail.

rwoman likes this.