Delta: Why is it so hard to book it'l award travel online? are they trying to drive us insane?!?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MikeInSF, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've recently spent waaay too many hours trying to book 2 award tickets to Italy via Delta online...and without success! I'm able to find flights but when I try to book them, I'm always blocked. Seems that Air France is an issue.

I've read other blogs on how to navigate Delta's system but my head is about to explode over why Delta makes it so hard to book int'l travel. On American, while not the user-friendliest website, I can generally search, hold and reserve without much trouble.

Is Delta trying to drive us insane?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer- their online award booking tools have been broken for two years, and seem to get steadily worse. Pop into the Delta forum here, you'll find lots of people who agree with you, but you'll also find tools and methods to get the job done.

Welcome to Milepoint!

alpinesoccer likes this.
  3. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Long answer: yeeeesssssss

Try this thread.

4. thanks for the advice -- will try both suggestions

5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might also give us the stats. When, where, class, etc and see if we can help. I know on my DEN-CDG award flight I was searching routes as different as ORD/YUL-CDG-DEN and DEN-CDG-SEA/MIA.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have status on DL and are not subject to phone ticketing fees, you might want to try calling your elite line. With any luck, you'll find a willing and knowledgeable agent who may be able to find existing award inventory faster than you can. If not, or if the agent will only search for a few dates, hang up and call again.

alpinesoccer likes this.
  7. As I've been reading this for a few days, I too have problems with the delta awards however I have not exactly found the delta stuff posted on this site that informative or friendly
    who knows maybe its me

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    it's just that the site is still new, the info will build up a lot in the next two or three weeks.
    Keep an eye on us...

9. one difficulty I am having is that every thing on most of the forums I have read are geared toward the top tier elite flier of which I am not so expanded awards to Diamond does notta for me

that seems to be the case in every forum

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That is a very good point. Hey, milepointers, are you listening?

JasonH likes this.
  11. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us aren't top tier fliers... or any tier fliers anymore [​IMG]. Sometimes it just takes knowing the industry, partners, and routes. Let me see if I can put my experience/knowledge into a coherent post on handling reward booking without status. Assuming work stays as slow as it is that shouldn't be a problem. [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  13. I'm not a top tier Delta member so no use going that route. Delta is not even my preferred airline. It's just that when DL and NW merged I ended up with over 200K in my account and just wanted to blow through it on a biz class award ticket to Europe.

I'll post the routes I've tried later. Who knows? Maybe someone here can provide me with some more guidance.

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have given up getting awards from delta and have used the pay with miles option (I have the delta gold amex) the last couple of times . Its not the best use of miles but I have voted with my feed to B6/CO...

JasonH likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I used up a load of skymiles this winter for the Amex gift cards, and a few on hotel nights. With the inflation on awards, those were reasonable deals.

JasonH likes this.
  16. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also voted with my feet (or feed [​IMG]) and switched to UA/AC. For me it just got tiring to double or triple connect to/from Canada when I could fly direct on UA/AC. I know it is the name of our game here, but there is a point where you can't do it anymore and that point came for me around the end of 2009. About the time that the only decent fares I could get sent me DEN-SLC-MSP/DTW-Canada and when my Halifax flights were showing as DEN-SLC-MSP-BOS-YHZ with a return overnight stay in BOS [​IMG] versus UA/AC sending me DEN-YYZ-YHZ.

Though I do miss the pimped out 752s flying DEN-ATL and 738s on DEN-CVG and I really miss the credit card miles. I boycott Chase for a number of reasons so no UA card for me [​IMG].

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it's hard to book int'l awards and I do not have any FF status. As mentioned in the threads above, check out the links. All else fails, call the airline the ticket fee is worth it. Make sure you ask them for alternative routing or nearby airports.

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking for transatlantic flights, use KVS Tool or do your research on airfrance.com -- a better search engine that does a good job finding available seats, even at the base mileage level. Once you have found your flights, call DL and ask them to book the specific flights. As long as you have some flexibility with your travel dates, you should be able to find seats.

19. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank You! I was going crazy trying to find any low award level business class from SFO to anywhere in Europe in the next 11 months. The award calendar on Delta would show dates available and then throw out nothing but medium level awards with random costs. I will have to try calling in to see what they can do.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good ole SkyPesos!

21. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    At least there is no $400 fuel surcharge!

Edit: ...Yet

22. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know my other thread on finding award tickets focused on using the DL and AA site, but have you tried the AF site? Find the availability there and then call DL with the flight numbers.

23. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I had just read above to check out the AF website. Which showed a wide variety of availability on the route at the low level award. I am not a huge fan of DL, but they somehow threw a bunch of extra miles at me and my BA miles are too expensive to use for travel to Europe. I have no specific travel dates in mind, just want to know that it is actually possible to book.

If the awards are available, I will consider doing the 50k AMEX MR transfer. My wife is adamant that we go to Europe on miles. If anyone has better suggestions I will gladly take advice.

Gargoyle likes this.