delta vs american

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jkneessy, Jan 20, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. jkneessy

jkneessy Member

Status Points:
    i live in NY close to JFK and LGA. Most of my travel is within US and Canada. I am currently Platinum with American but I am thinking about switching over to Delta. They offer more non-stop flights and more frequency which is great. However I have no status with Delta and would be starting at zero. I did a status match a few years ago so I am no longer eligible for any status match. any thoughts or comments about my situations

iolaire likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your real-life convenience is worth more than elite status. And if you really fly that much you'll get it back soon enough.

Keep in mind that DL has a spend factor in Medallion qualification (or you can be exempt with sufficient CC spend). Also, the rules about using the points for awards are quite different in the two programs. But I'd take more frequencies and non-stop flights as the main considerations every time.

zinderois and iolaire like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You tried it once and returned..

Have you forgot why you did not stay with Delta....

zinderois and redtailshark like this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muahahaha! Hombre, esto es ... mejor en su clase y sin duda ..

5. Jim-B

Jim-B Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't waste your time with Delta, at least American lets their frequent flyers pick the Economy Comfort seats at booking, Delta will be changing the rules in May, wants to hold seats back for sale first then if you're upgraded before flight, no seat choice you get what they give you. Every year they have a new change to the game, they seem to be telling the loyal frequent fliers to go find another airline. I was a Diamond medallion since inception, working on 2M status too, due to last year rule changes, some untimely account credits and annual card fee not spending considered, I missed Diamond status by $16.89. I asked them for a one time waver for a long time loyal customer and their reply basically said, too bad, it's business, hope you have better luck next year!! American has a whole lot less fine print!!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not really, and plenty more is coming throughout this year (already known to be happening) and I'd bet beyond that (speculation, but reasonably well founded).

7. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting thread. I used to be diamond with delta and loved their service. I was frustrated with their international upgrade certificates and switched to AA due to the eight swus. All the changes (including cutting swus in half) are making me consider coming back to delta. After all, I believe delta has a better hard product and service. And it sounds like the onetime reliability is leaps and bounds better at delta than aa. I'm a tad concerned with how my upgrades as a delta platinum (that's the highest I believe they will match/challenge) will be compared to exp on aa. I usually fly to sju, dca and Nyc. Any thoughts?

8. rotillar

rotillar Active Member

Status Points:
    I would stick with DL, because AA has serious attitude issues with their unionized personnel. DL is non Union, except for the pilots and schedulers. Plus the DL product is better - the drawback is the planes - OLD! AA has newer jets, but overall DL is the way to go

9. zinderois

zinderois New Member

Status Points:
    Indeed DL has a much older fleet, and you pay for that on long hauls. Last week, from CDG to ATL even in Delta one aboard a Boeing 767/400 was crap. Still, I prefer DL over AA. Rules changes with both are annoying though, and really they cater for only Biz class clients and above. the rest is a waste for them.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That DL cabin is newer than what AA has on most of its 777s or 767s. If you don't like it that's fine, but don't blame it on the age of the plane. The two are rarely tied together.

11. Bigsbyboy

Bigsbyboy New Member

Status Points:
    I have been highly loyal to DL for years. 2,500,000 miles flown, Diamond status.....until this year. Only flew enough for Platinum in 2015.
    Huge difference, not a snowball chance of a Domestic upgrade while Platinum, 2.5M miles means nothing to DL now (it did under the previous administration). As mentioned elsewhere, using Miles for Travel becoming a massive hoax. "What have you done for us TODAY?" the current operative.
    DL will not see the level of loyalty from me as in years past, I'll fly far less and enjoy life that much more.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it didn't.

And comp upgrades are disappearing at a record pace. The airlines have not been shy about the fact that they plan to sell those seats.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who has flown extensively with all three domestic carriers this year (enough to currently be DL Plat, UA 1K, and BA gold with some AA flying), I have to say the differences among the carriers are slight.

Generally DL is thought to have the worst rewards program, but all of the airlines seem to be heading in the same direction there.

The rest of the elite program, such as IRROPs and improved customer service, i find similar across airlines. (I was a DM last year and find that service and the current 1K service to be roughly similar).

In flight I would probably rate the airlines as DL > UA > AA in domestic F. But again the differences are slight.

So my conclusion after a year of messing around is to go back to flying DL as my primary, entirely because they offer four mainline flights per day from our little airport (AA offers three regionals, two CR2 and one CR7 and UA none, requiring an hour drive).

I'll still keep the option open to use UA or AA and their partners for particular trips where driving and picking up a non-stop beats the connection, but I'll probably fly 70%+ DL next year just for the convenience.

I think that's where we are in the domestic air market now. If you're an infrequent or leisure traveler, you're best off booking on price and convenience.

If you're a frequent business traveler, convenience is probably trumps with the consideration that focusing enough travel on one carrier to receive the benefits of status for IRROPS is important as well.

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer mobile app

Gtitan, misman, Phudnik and 1 other person like this.