Delta upgrades on international flights

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by seaflyer, Jul 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that there has been discussion about this on other threads, but I'm wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as to when Delta would upgrade a passenger on international flights. I had thought that it was only possible if a) you purchase a YBM ticket, b) if the flight is oversold and they would like to make room in coach, c) if you have high Medallion status. On a recent flight from ams-sea, I (GM) was upgraded at the gate with a coworker (PM) - we both had Q tickets and they reissued us C class tickets without any explanation other than that we had a seat change. When checking in online, my reservation clearly stated that I was was not upgrade eligible for this flight. It looked like the flight was pretty full. Is this a common situation or was I just very lucky? Thanks!

sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.) ;)

Gargoyle and seaflyer like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    seaflyer,

It sounds like your flight was oversold in Y. My sister (an FO) has received an OpUp many times.

Not necessarily common!

:)

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    very true. DL does not want to dilute their premium product (international front cabin) by giving it away. I've gotten op-ups on AF, AZ and KL due to being a DL PM, but only when they've been oversold in back. I only recall it happening once on DL.

sobore and rwoman like this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    FO = Forward Observer? Flag Officer?

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Silver Medallion.
    It's a long story.... :p

Counsellor likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got time . . .

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Basic synopsis.

Some people, including some at DL, claim it goes back to the Flying Orchard program, a way they would thank company secretaries along with administrative assistants and planners who made travel arrangements. many decades ago, but that theory just doesn't hold water. It is simply "Flies Often", a designation that I believe predates FF programs and certainly predates tiered medallion levels, so it became the first level. As additional levels, FO was applied to Silver and the new levels were added above that.

There is a six page discussion of it on TOBB, including the belief that "FO" stands for what DL says to silvers.

sobore, Counsellor, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    And luckily it makes for a handy way to avoid confusion with SM being used to abbreviate SkyMiles.

Oh, and for those who don't have the decoder ring, TOBB simply refers to FlyerTalk.com (TOBB - The Other Bulletin Board)

Counsellor, rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's actually in the MP glossary. Just doubleclick "TOBB" and a popup should appear in the upper right of your browser with the definition. (general definition, it doesn't specifically mention FT).

You can do the same with FO and myriad other initializations, acronyms, airport codes, etc...

rwoman likes this.
  11. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just trying to help the OP or anyone else who doesn't know. Even knowing the general definition of the acronym, if the specific website one is referring to can't be discerned, it doesn't seem very helpful to the OP. Basically saying that a "six page thread is available, somewhere on a travel website", doesn't provide any real info.

I guess I don't understand the reluctance to mention FlyerTalk's name here, or MilePoint's name on FT. It's especially surprising in a Newbie forum, just IMHO

Counsellor and Gargoyle like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just a habit people fell into at the beginning; I think it had to do with keeping things polite and bending over backwards to be non-confrontational here, since at the time there were some very vitriolic and confrontational threads about MP on TOBB. There were strong tendencies to avoid similar issues here.

13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the explanation, Gargoyle. I tended to stay away from Delta (although I got their card long ago), so I didn't read the Delta forum religiously (as I used to do with United and Flying Dutchman/FB) and thus didn't know the back-story. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

(And I also admire your ever-changing avatars . . . .)