Delta to sponsor Chelsea Football Club

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by travelinmike33, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1647

Seems like a good way to get a lot of international exposure. I'm not aware of any other US-based airlines sponsoring a Premiership team, but Emirates, Etihad, Malaysia and others get a ton of exposure through their sponsorship deals. Hopefully works out well.

rwoman and mersk862 like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'm a fan of a Chelsea rival, this is a good move on Delta's part. The Premier League is watched by millions all over the world, including in Asia. Sponsoring the defending UEFA Champions League winners will definitely help.

NYBanker likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense.

Everyone outside the US will surely be disappointed when they ultimately get on a Delta flight...but it will help brand awareness at least! ;)

travelinmike33 and daemon14 like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if you buy a Chelsea ticket, if it can be resold or refunded within 72 hours of the match ....

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, this is not as big a sponsoring gig as other airlines. Arsenal play at the Emirates Stadium and Manchester City play at the Etihad. QPR's majority ownership is by the guy who also owns AirAsia. Turkish Airlines has Manchester United players presenting its safety video and has them in many commercials.

Chelsea is big in London, and that's important for Delta. They're also about to play some matches in the US, one of which is in New York ... great way to advertise JFK-LHR flights. The B/E product is pretty good on that route.

6. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Blues fan and an AA EXP, how do I reconcile these two things??? :D

daemon14 likes this.
  7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either switch to DL, or switch to Fulham :D

My new matched Turkish Elite status goes well with my fandom of Manchester United and the Lakers (Kobe Bryant) ;)

TheBOSman likes this.
  8. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I learned of this a couple of weeks ago, I was quite excited as a Blues fan. A couple of guys at work (Pool and Gunners supporters) were giving me a good natured ribbing about them now having conflicting loyalties. :)

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprised more US companies don't jump on this train. Many of the big teams are owned by Americans anyway. (ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool off the top if my head)

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    They don't need sponsorship. Russian robber-baron Abramovich has extremely deep pockets. They might benefit from managerial stability however.

11. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though under the new UEFA Financial Fair Play rules, Abramovich simply can't spend his own cash anymore.