Delta to Refund Taxes Paid for Travel During FAA Shutdown

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DeltaExpert, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:

Aug 1, 2011

ATLANTA, Aug. 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) announced Monday it will process tax refunds for customers traveling during the suspension of non-essential services of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Funding for the FAA expired on July 23. At that time, Delta stopped collecting several taxes imposed on ticket sales, including a 7.5 percent tax on the base ticket price, a $3.70 segment tax and facilities taxes on international travel and travel to and from Alaska and Hawaii.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has advised that travelers who paid for tickets on or before July 22, 2011, for travel beginning on or after July 23 and prior to the reinstatement of FAA funding, may be entitled to a refund of those taxes.

Delta is awaiting guidelines from the IRS on the process of providing refunds. However, in order to streamline the process, the airline will process refunds directly for customers once an agreement is reached with the IRS on the procedure for doing so.

Information on how to apply for a refund will be posted to delta.com.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1421

2. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should give me $143.60 plus "facilities taxes on international travel " (however much that might be). Of course, if the tax goes back into effect before my return trip on Aug 14 it will be a different situation.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope they start refunding these soon

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume the tax refunds will take the form of a credit to the original means of payment rather than a DL ecert.

5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope so, but I really can't put much faith I'd DL.IT to pull it off correctly. It took me 60 days to get a $10 refund from a canceled award ticket. I can really see this messing up corporate expense reports.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also imagining the staff time it will require to implement all these refunds.