Delta to Offer Streaming Entertainment Options on 950 Wi-Fi-Equipped Aircraft

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Sep 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessreviewindia.in/p...inment-options-on-950-wi-fi-equipped-aircraft

Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) is adding new, on-demand entertainment options to its fleet of more than 950 two-class Delta and Delta Connection aircraft, the world's largest fleet of Wi-Fi equipped planes.

The Delta Connect Wi-Fi portal will allow customers to stream television and movie options directly to their laptop or tablet while in flight. Streamed content will be accessible for 24 hours after a flight and available for playback on the ground through the same device used onboard. All 800 of Delta's two-class domestic aircraft will be equipped with this new on-demand technology by the end of 2013.

This new technology will be installed on Delta's international fleet in conjunction with previously announced plans to install international Wi-Fi service on more than 150 widebody aircraft, scheduled to be completed by the end of 2015. This will allow customers to use both their personal device to stream movies and television shows, as well as current in-seat systems.

Read More: http://www.businessreviewindia.in/p...inment-options-on-950-wi-fi-equipped-aircraft

2. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds great, but my first question was, "How much does it cost?"

And these prices are "introductory." This just doesn't compare well to Redbox ($1/movie, after coupons) or my home-grown IFE ("free" [no additional cost over the cost of satellite] TV shows I record on my PC & copy to my tablet for offline viewing). At least DL's prices include the necessary in-flight Internet access required for streaming.

It's great to have these options available, but it bums me out that I am too cheap to benefit from them.

3. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    What this also means is that it's time to say "buh bye" to any & all complimentary in-flight entertainment on International Flights.

[​IMG]

4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    My concern is bandwidth. GoGo can already be pretty slow and I cringe everytime they run a new "free Facebook" access or the like. Presumably, they will spec this out correctly. Let's hope..

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to know the content being offered for 3.99 a pop. [​IMG]