Delta to make Ipads Available on Flights out of MSP

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Tenmoc, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thread title seems a little misleading. DL will rent ipads from MSP's Concourse G starting next year, after it's remodeled. This won't happen soon and using these ipads will not be free for DL passengers.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was just posting the link. Never implied if it was free. There wasn't anything posted in the forum regarding it already.

As for time frame, well we discuss coming services all the time and "to make" means will come.

4. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a horrible idea. Someone could just simply never return it in the mail.

I would never want to rent one...

DonV.Smith likes this.
  5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that the "to make" in the title implied that it was in the future.

DonV.Smith, Kaanapali and sobore like this.
  6. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine that they would take a credit card deposit in case it was not sent back.

DonV.Smith and Kaanapali like this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it doesn't get "lost" in transit...

DonV.Smith likes this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be my concern.

DonV.Smith and Kaanapali like this.
  9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA!
    One would think it would be cheaper for the box just to be handed to a FA or GA and it would be routed right back to MSP on a DL flight. I guess the marketing folks don't trust that method and prefer USPS. Oh, the irony!

DonV.Smith, MSPeconomist and Tenmoc like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree and I would hate the inconvenience of having to make a trip to a post office at my destination. Remember, you can't drop packages or even heavy envelopes into letter boxes any more. I'd be afraid to send it back without a receipt or proof of mailing and maybe even insurance, depending on the rules about what happens if one is lost in transit. (FedEx would be much better.)

DonV.Smith and Pharaoh like this.
  11. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even more good points. DL marketing must really not trust Operations!

As an FYI aside, it's possible to request a waiver of the packages into letter boxes rule. When I had a home online business I usually took packages to the PO twice a week (they had me drive around to the dock and just put the boxes into their outgoing tubs) but for the onesies and twosies that were on other days I could just put them in or near the mailbox and the carrier would pick them up under the waiver.

DonV.Smith and MSPeconomist like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be even more of a hassle to get a waiver in a strange city for a one-time-only ipad return from there?

DonV.Smith likes this.
  13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, the aside was not directly in the path of the discussion.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought. I would imagine that waivers are only granted to known local people and are specific to one area, not good nationally.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  15. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a DL run thing or MSP? If it is DL, it will never come to fruition or be bungled so badly that it will be discontinued in quick order. I am not sure DL.IT would know what to do with technology from the '90's, let alone 201x.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The linked articie from Gadling says DL and quotes DL's Senior VP for MN Ops.

However, it also talks about DL reworking the food offerings in the terminal, which surely should be the responsibility of the airport and not an individual carrier. The concourse in question, which is slated for a remodel, AFAIK is 100% DL gates, but the terminal (which is all connected airside) certainly has other carriers as well as the airport conference center and other facilities that have nothing to do with DL explicitly. (However, I should point out that at one point NW/DL proposed kicking all non-SkyTeam airlines to the other terminal, which was clearly inferior at the time.)

DonV.Smith and USAF_Pride like this.
  17. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "food offerings" is what confused me. I thought that would be the airport authority. As far as renovating G, I am not sure what they could do to make it look better.

DonV.Smith, viguera and MSPeconomist like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Concourse G at MSP isn't bad, although it's not as nice as C. Personally, I'm fond of it from the days of the security checkpoint directly in from parking near G-6/7/8. I hate the D and E concourses and I don't like the crowded walk to the far (high) F gates.;

DonV.Smith likes this.
  19. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they were to rent these on flights for a price that included gogo/other wifi service for that flight (or ipad only if pax already have service), that could be a pretty good offering. Not saying I would buy in, but it would be a more logical offering than $3 off-brand trail mix or as much as $7 for 50ml of swill.

Better use for the ipad in that manner than as a laptop replacement to be sure (although hoping the day comes soon where i can viably ditch the lapper for a tablet).

Chimpy and DonV.Smith like this.
  20. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what's worse: F16 or the B gates. At least F has people and restaurants. B feels like you are in rural Wisconsin.

21. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And what's wrong with rural Wisconsin? I like it here.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  22. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in the 90's I used to hire a portable DVD player and DVDs in SFO and return it on landing in DEN. Or sometimes I'd hire it in DEN and hand it back again after my return flight. It worked really well. If they could manage something like that with Ipads it could work the same way.

I'd've thought the problem would be with what content is made available.

Chimpy, DonV.Smith and MSPeconomist like this.
  23. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh? I'd be stunned if DL actually is the one operationalizing this, and would assume that the management of the iPads would fall to an outside firm. Heck, I would presume that, after each use, there would be some need to 'reset' the iPads and otherwise maintain them. I don't see why an airline would get into that business, and I don't see why this behind the scenes stuff would be done at the airport.

Should DL now get into the door-to-door package delivery business? Why? It doesn't seem like a core business to me. They'd have to divert resources at each of the destination airports to do the collection process, and then use more resources to transport them back to MSP. Then they still might have to put them in a truck to go to whatever place these are managed from.

I have friends that work for Maersk, the shipping company. I'm pretty sure that they still send things in the mail. If they need to get to Hong Kong, they fly, they don't hop on the next ship. I don't think that says anything about their confidence in their operations. Just because DL could, theoretically, operationalize the collection and transport of iPads back from each of the hundreds of destinations where they might end up, it doesn't mean that they should. And just because they choose to not create this sort of distribution network for an ancillary product doesn't mean that they don't trust their ops.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's bad about the B gates is that if you're there, you are almost surely flying on a RJ, probably a small one.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with you but I learned at the ATL DL DO that DL has a surprising portfolio of side businesses including a temporary help agency as well as doing plane maintenance for other airlines. It's partly diversification and IMO partly a clever means to capitalize on DL's unique assets. Apparently they use travel privileges to attract good temporary workers to send out to other companies.

DonV.Smith likes this.