Delta to Fly Less in 2012

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by garyst16, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you think it is difficult to get an award seat with Sky Pesos now, just wait....

The second largest U.S. airline Delta Air Lines Inc. plans to trim its capacity by 2–3% next year followed by this year’s capacity reductions. The cuts will be in markets where fare hikes are unable to deal with higher fuel prices.
    The company’s flight reduction strategy is well in force even this year. Management reaffirmed 4–5% capacity cut by the fourth quarter of this year. Domestic capacity will be slashed by 1–3% and international capacity by 4–6%. In the trans-Atlantic route, Delta Air Lines with its partners, Air France KLM and Alitalia, will reduce capacity by 7–9% by the end of the year.
    Delta Air Lines is lowering its capacity to counter overall cost, including fuel price inflation. Further, Delta is trying to reduce its non-fuel expense by the end of the year and expects it to bring to the past year level. The company is offering voluntary buyouts to 55,000 of its workers. Moreover, Delta reduced its facility costs at 170 airport locations and 10 cargo locations with the aim of saving more than $80 million annually.
    The company will retire 140 less fuel-efficient planes from its fleet by the end of next year. Half of the expected fleet would be removed by this year, contributing $250 million in maintenance savings in the second half. Besides, Delta will not replace new planes until 2013.
    Last month, the company agreed to buy 100 planes from Boeing Co. The new planes will be delivered in 2013 and offers 15–20% extra fuel efficiency, keeping maintenance costs low.

DeltaExpert, jbcarioca and flyingdawg like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least I should not see many capacity cuts ex-LHR...not looking forward to paying more, but I guess that's the reality.

When I caught the train to London last night my thought was, "Wow, this is the primary way people used to get around...maybe this is what happens when we've used most of the oil supply at whatever point down the road." I guess then we'll be trainspotting again...

bez7 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't the majority of the old planes the DC9 and similar models?

As for awards, even when I can find a low award on DL, it's usually with all, or the majority of flights on partners. AS, KL, KE, AF, etc. I actually prefer it that way.

bez7 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL has some ancient large airplanes too, although the DC-9's are the only ones nearing eligibility for retirement benefits.
    Their 747's have an average age of 18 years and the 767's average 15 years. Even the A320's average 16.5 years.
    airfleets has a summary. http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Delta Airlines.htm

Basically DL's only newish aircraft right now are the A330's with 32 airplanes average 6 years old and B777 18 aircraft average 6.5 years old.

Their huge issue is the legacy of lots of old, inefficient aircraft with major maintenance headaches, several incompatible types, but inadequate resources to replace hundreds of planes quickly. The NW merger only made the problem more acute for both sides.

garyst16 likes this.
  5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link

6. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    bring back the L1011

MSPeconomist and garyst16 like this.
  7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I only flew the KL L1011, but did not enjoy it, at all. Was there something about the NW/DL version that was good?

8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TWA version was outstanding...their FC was incredible!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I always loved the TWA L-1011s, especially during the time when the wing engines were falling off of the DC-10s. The strange thing about the L-1011s, however, was that they tended to cruise in a distinctive nose up position, so that walking forward in the cabin meant walking up a noticeable hill. The FAs complained about pushing carts on these birds.

However, I sometimes thought that being up in the nose of a TWA 747 was even better. (I don't remember flying on the upper deck on TWA so much, more on the NW 747s, where I loved the 747-200 small upper deck.