Delta Ticket Purchasing Changed

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DTWBOB, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overnight Delta changed the "book a flight" section of it's website and managed to succeed...

in making it user hostile and very time consuming if not almost impossible to use

The site now has an excessive amount of white space, doesn't show connecting cities or times.

The good news is if Delta continues to make this type of "improvement", upgrades may actually become easier to get because experienced flyers may start taking other airlines where it's easier to book tickets !

DTWBOB

rwoman and USAF_Pride like this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks somewhat like how NWA used to have theirs. Although once again, they had to
    Deltaize it and make it fugly and harder to use.

<edit>
    I am only being offered 1 return now on a flight I was looking at booking last night. I am pretty sure that DFW has more than 1 flight leaving a day!!

Scottrick and rwoman like this.
  3. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barf. :(

Oh, double barf. I just did a search in economy and it's showing the FCM fares in a column right next to the coach fares. :(:(

David

USAF_Pride and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greaaat...maybe not. :(

techguru likes this.
  5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like they are trying to push to show the difference between Y and First to entice people to buy first tickets off the top.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also it might be the dumbest idea ever to not show where you connect without clicking on a details button.

DeltaExpert and mtkeller like this.
  7. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also a customize your flight options under your existing itns.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not liking it AT ALL!!

DeltaExpert and techguru like this.
  9. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is preeettyy awful.

10. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes you wonder if these folks actually ever book a ticket. Not being able to see the connecting airport and layover times without clicking 'details' is really annoying. What is this obsession the IT folks have with 'click-throughs' to access information (except, of course A/P FCM fares) :confused: :mad:?

11. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    They all fly WN on their DL salaries!

12. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double Barf barf...;-)

13. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Folks over at FT agree as well, four full pages of comments so far.

14. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Change we can believe in. Now, I believe I'll have another ham sandwich.... :eek:

David

15. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The search engine is very inconsistent. Searching for flights and then searching again yields a different number of flight options. The only sure way to see all your options right now is to search by schedule which requires you to click all the way through to find the fare.

Some of the changes I don't really mind and can get used to most of the others (hovering over items does provide a lot of detail). It is definitely more NWA style. Unfortunately, it is hooked up to DELTAMATIC :mad:

16. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. Positively. Horrible.

Over the past 20 years, I have probably purchased over 2000 tickets, and this is probably one of the worst web-based displays that I have ever seen.

17. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the best thing to do is to search kayak to get your options then redirect.

18. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh my! after reading this here, i had to go look for myself. what were they thinking? :confused: why would i want to click another button just to see 1) from where i am flying (i search WAS instead of each airport in the area), 2) where i am connecting and how long of a layover, 3) and the reverse trip.

that has to be the most horrible design i have ever seen. how can they possibly think that is a good design or helpful to their customers? it is bad enough for the frequent flyers but it would be quite daunting to those less experienced with bookings.

that said, are we taking bets how long before they come to senses and change it back? LOL!

19. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this will stay but it will be several weeks until things change. As much as people are complaining I think this is aimed at the non-FF, they don't care where they connect through, nor can then name airport codes. All they are looking for is where do I start, where do I finish, and how long is it going to take in the process, and what is it going to cost.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though there already was not enough info available on the booking page at a glance, DL wants to make it worse? What are they thinking? Do their IT people get paid by the click?

Blue Skye likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly hope delta.dumb will offer an expert version that can be customized and stored with one's FF account.

Blue Skye likes this.
  22. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except it doesn't actually tell you that! If I put in LON and get AF/KL flights, I don't know if I'm coming to/going from LHR or LCY. NYC? Maybe EWR has the cheapest fares but you really don't want to go out of there. Good luck figuring out that the cheap fares are out of EWR at a glance.

23. daJeyMan

daJeyMan New Member

Status Points:
    It's an OK change for me, since I'll probably know without looking at the full details as to what the full layover information will be if it's just a one-stop deal (usually MSP or DTW). The only downside is that I would now have to go an hour further to the airport to fly with them as I used to, since they did an EAS bid process locally that resulted in a complete airline switch-up.

24. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my beef, too much clicking. Want details and the layover, click. Want to see upgrade status? click.

I tried it for a while this morning, and I'm just about all clicked out...

David

rwoman, MSPeconomist and BamaGirl like this.
  25. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    An alternative to clicking for everything is to just hover over the flight number. It will show the connection and arrival time and departure of your next flight. You have to do a little math, but it beats all the CLICKING.

rwoman likes this.