Delta taking bids to get bumped?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by USAJerry, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

Status Points:
    I heard this happened this morning at DCA prior to a DCA to ATL flight.

They were not sure how many volunteers they needed but if you wanted to volunteer, you had to submit a bid in order to get bumped.

So basically, they took the lowest bid(s) and gave the passenger(s) Delta vouchers in those amounts for future flights while bumping them to later flights.

Usually you'll hear a $300 or $400 voucher being given for a future Delta flight. But has anyone on here heard of those volunteers actually having to submit bids with the hope of being bumped?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've been doing this a while now. Welcome to game theory and market optimization.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience GAs tend to largely ignore the bids. It'll often get you on the list (no guarantee though) and the bid may come into play for ranking purposes, but in my experience the compensation offered has not been tied in with the bid amounts. Maybe the bid system is primarily market research at this point?

USAF_Pride and Mapsmith like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 - I have yet to submit a bid at OLCI or a kiosk, but have taken two VDB's in the last 2.5 months.

:)

6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last few times I've submitted bids it's been because the situation was on a connecting flight and I wanted to get myself on the list in case I was delayed getting to the gate. Neither instance panned out, I guess there were other delays or no-shows, but they didn't end up needing anyone!

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all the bumps that I have taken this year (6, I believe), they have never used the "bid" system. The announcements are always made by the GA and then there is a rush of people to take them. The key is to know what flights are oversold, have your new routing ready, and ask early. (Yes, this requires research on your part prior to arriving at the airport)

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I see a bid, I'll enter a dollar, just in case it comes in to play.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except I've put in $199 as my bid and gotten $400 vouchers multiple times so not really the latter.

mrredskin likes this.
  10. nmt12

nmt12 Member

Status Points:
    I have put in several bids this year and from what I can tell the list is used for priority purposes on who would get the voucher. I was put at the top of the list due to my Skymile status. Each time I have taken the voucher, the amount given was not indicative to my bid.