Delta SWU - Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Steven Schwartz, May 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Delta Platinum, I have refrained from ever redeeming my four SWUs due to the higher cost of the tickets. But I've been thinking.....

We are flying both the Phoenix and also to LAX from NYC next year. We want to fly First Class. Seems to make sense to do K fare for one of them and use the upgrades for me and my wife. The alternative was to fly United and that would cost me a total of 100,000 miles. The K fare on Delta is $767 each so for $1534 I can save (or buy!) 100,000 miles - that's Business Class to Europe. And it's a value of only 1.5 cents per mile.

Does that sound like a reasonable argument? Thanks

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can add whatever you value the earned pesos at too...and subtract off the 20k miles or $200 you forgo to choose swus. if you have UA instruments thats another option to rule out/in.

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only request the SWU's when I am booking my flight and the inventory is open. Until such time, I do not make a benefit selection. Of course, you need to use Expert Flyer to see the availability. Steps I take when wanting to use the SWU's
    1. Find the flights on EF
    2. Call DL and verify that SWU inventory is available
    3. While on the call with the rep, go to the webpage and request the SWU's.
    4. Have them apply it while on the phone.

traveller99 likes this.
  4. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same approach, but I seem to have a delay between requesting and receiving the SWUs. Normally, I find the flights, request the SWUs, and call in when I receive. I have been known to wait list the upgrades. Of course that is hit or miss.

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shucks - I thought the only downside was paying too much but it seems that even then, it's not even close to a given.

Thanks for the feedback. It ain't AA!

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always used SWUs on international segments. I used it to fly SIN once, and BOM twice and EZE a couple. If the M fare was over 2K, I deemed it not worthwhile. Now I do not use SWUs as I rarely see a good deal on M fares.