Delta Skymiles

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Starreb, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm new and I'm looking for ways to get to a million miles to get lifetime silver status. I have about 750,000 miles and looking for ways to build up the balance quickly. Any advise?

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Only MQM's count, and generally you only earn those through BIS (Butt-in seat) miles or the DL Amex or Amex Platinum credit cards. (The DL Amex gives you 10k MQM for spending $25k in a given year, and another 10k when you hit $50K. I believe the Amex Plat gives 15k at the $30k and $60k thresholds).

Mileage runs are a common way to up your count, as is booking the more expensive tix (YBM first/biz) which earn more MQM's per mile.

Note that it is no longer "lifetime status", it's "Members who reach one million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Silver Medallion status." In other words, they have the option of canceling your benefit at any time in the future. :mad:

flyingdawg and misterbwong like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if it's lifetime, Silver isn't worth a lot. You seem to get most of the benefits except the rare upgrade from having a DL AmEx Gold or higher credit card.

In the above, it's the DL AmEx Plat card that can get 2 x 10,000 MQMs for spending $25-50Kand DL Reserve 2 x 15,000 MQMs for $30-60 annual spend.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's correct, it's the Reserve card that gets the higher MQM's for higher spend- I'd forgotten the name of the card.

While silver isn't worth much, can any Million Milers tell us whether simply having the MM on the PNR and manifest make any difference in treatment or benefits? (I'm in the same position as the OP, around the same number of lifetime MQM's).

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME being designated MM on the manifest does seem to impress FAs, including international pursers. However, you should be clear that it does not change priority for upgrades and, in fact, carries no published benefits other than annual status plus the Hartman or Tiffany gift and a few HOOU drink coupons when you hit the MM level, not even annual drink coupons IME. Of course, it's cool to have MM on your luggage tags and elite card, but it does not appear on the SC membership card which also uses your FF number.

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    And Delta has a history of taking back benefits they've promised, even without the "currently" caveat. For instance, I seem to recall a promise about Frequent Flyer miles never expiring, then they expired them, and now they "currently" aren't doing that (for however long "currently" currently is).

Gargoyle and flyingdawg like this.
  7. zhaoqian

zhaoqian New Member

Status Points:
    Of course, it's cool to have MM on your luggage tags and elite card, but it does not appear on the SC membership card which also uses your FF number

Gargoyle likes this.