Delta SkyMiles question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by katya1986, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Aloha, Was planning to get some new Delta cards. I have not had a Delta card for like 2 years. I used to collect miles with them and had a Very hard time using them? Was just wondering if this has changed and if it is worth my time to get some new cards. My go to cards have been with United and American. Maybe its just living in Hawaii that made them hard to use. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skypesos are still Skypesos :) Have one of the highest redemption rates so I recommend sticking with UA, US, or AA. It's not bad looking into an AMEX card that earns Membership Rewards (MR) points or Chase card that earns Ultimate Rewards (UR) points either since they are flexible and allow transfers to different programs. Personally, I prefer UR points over MR points but others might disagree. The SPG card is pretty good too since you can use it for hotels and transfer it to a lot of airline FFPs. :)

Gargoyle, Counsellor and katya1986 like this.
  3. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. ))) I agree

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You will find suggestions in the Delta forum here on how to maximize your redemption of Delta Skymiles, but even still, they have a very bad reputation for redemption rates. Also, the online award calender at Delta.com has been broken for years, it is quite misleading and limited. You generally can do better by calling to book after doing the research, however if you don't have status in the DL program I think they charge extra for phone bookings.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been using my sky pesos for other thing, like rental cars and have gotten as many as $300 worth of car rentals for about 8k points.

DTWBOB

servo46250 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    They've actually gotten worse recently, after secretly increasing some reward values. There are times when Delta is my only logical choice, and I only have about 5k miles with them. At least they never expire, and as DTWBOB mentioned, you can use those points for other awards besides flights that might be a better value.

katya1986 and Gargoyle like this.
  7. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I will look into that. I think I have like 5-6k orphaned miles from like 2 years ago. I didnt know they wouldnt expire.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've done well with booking hotel rooms, but those have generally run me 8 - 12k per night. (for $125 to $200/night rooms)

katya1986 likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had tremendous success using Delta miles for low-miles business class awards on partner carriers.

I flew my family of four to Paris over a break week in the spring. All business class. All on the same flight. Exactly the dates we wanted to travel. All low miles awards.

This Christmas, I'm taking the family to the Persian Gulf. All four of us. Business class. Low miles awards. The weekend before Christmas. Exactly when we wanted to go.

SkyPesos - my a-double-s! If you use them the way I do, they are easy to generate and relatively easy/valuable to use.

HOWEVER, if you are trying to fly LGA-FLL in front - low miles awards tough to come by. You'll be looking at 80k miles, less than 1cpm.

katya1986, mattsteg and Gargoyle like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skymiles can be difficult to use, depending on your goals and location, but their reputation in that regard far outpaces reality - they are nowhere near as useless as people like to claim, although perhaps somewhat more vulnerable to becoming less useful in the future. I keep earning and burning skymiles while my other balances sit mostly unused.

katya1986 likes this.