Delta SkyMiles 'dynamic pricing' on selected showcase one way routes after June 1, 2016

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Jul 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Delta One on the upper deck of the last of the 747s:
    DTW/ICN DL 159, lots of availability after June 1 at 70K
    DTW/NRT DL275, lots of availability after June 1 at 70K
    Verdict: Looks good, a victory! On Delta metal even ...

Note: DTW/AMS DL 134 (summer service 747)
    lowest price through Sept 30, 2015 is 125K, when 747 service is discontinued
    (surprisingly there are many direct flights on Delta metal DTW AMS after June 1 for 62.5K, but not on a 747 – another more minor victory)

2) Air France - JFK to CDG on the new AF 777 business class
    AF 9 and 17 – lots of 62.5K awards after June 1, usually '2 to 3 left at this price'
    (DL 400, also direct, is usually 147.5K after June 1, but oddly its 80K on June 13 when AF 9 and 17 do not fly. Go figure. The last date on which DL 400 is 62.5K is May 2. Verdict: Mixed. A good value partner award is still available, but Delta metal pricing on the same route is awful.

3) LAX SYD business class
    after June 1, all flights on DL 17 are 175K one way
    after June 1, some availability on VA 2 generally Tue Wed at 80K
    Verdict: Mixed. One of the best value partner awards still shows up after June 1, but fits the post-June 1 pattern of good value on partners poor value on Delta itself on the same route.

4) ATL JNB business class (one of the longest flights in the world and saves connecting in Europe)
    After June 1, the DL 200 direct flight is 175K every day
    actually it is 175K every day between now and end-of-schedule
    Verdict: Shame on sleazy Delta management.

5) FAI/EYB Fairbanks, Alaska to Key West,Florida coach class
    so whats the longest most expensive domestic flight in coach?
    Good news, you can still fly for 12.5K SkyMiles from Fairbanks to Key West on June 22, 2016 on Alaska Airlines and Delta. Cash price is $691 or 5.5 cents per SkyMile.
    Verdict: Victory!

My analysis: Generally, very negative after June 1 on Delta itself, but I wouldn't panic and burn SkyMiles on bad redemptions either. Choose your awards carefully even if you are winding down. I'm still trying to sort out what remains of any value.

redtailshark likes this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sampling of awards out of New York shows high inflationary rates compArable to Zimbabwe :(

MX likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice work with specific examples. But let's not forget, some of this SM banditry isn't new. For example, Jeff demanded 635k SM from PHL to FCO five years ago, not all of which was in J.

And, now, for my analysis of DL SM dynamic pricing post-June 1 2016. Can you even imagine what I might say? :D Well, you should. Because all of it and especially JNB is:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

HighPlainsDrifter and B1BomberVB like this.
  4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I need not be so concerned about this, as my friend's wife & I have a "whopping ;) " 15K Skymiles each ;) !

redtailshark likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. Better for you with such a small quantity. No worries.

But somehow I have amassed almost 50k SM even though I have only flown revenue DL once in the last four years, and at that time my balance was below 100 SM (I mean, no revenue DL except for RGN and so on, you know...those itins weren't purchased because they involved DL sectors....).

I suppose the SM have built from *wood cross-benefit and ancient car rental preferences and so on. The problem is, when customers begin to accumulate SM they begin to think about how to use them and that's when outrage and aggravation sets in..... the feeling with most programs and 50k balance would be, ah, something worthwhile can be redeemed....but not on DL SM. I dread logging on and trying to redeem for anything. Certainly not PHL to FCO. Perhaps they are best just ignored.