Delta Skyclub @ LAX

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (also can be viewed here)
    The Delta sky club at LAX is nothing to write home about. Actually, I visit this lounge all the time and never write about it because I always find it a bit blah. In fact of all lounges in the Delta system that I’ve visited (and I’ve visited a lot over the last 5 years) it’s one that I like the least. Why? It’s just the set up over all I think. You walk in and it’s just big and open, there’s nowhere quiet to escape to, unless you can find space in the little “quiet” room next to the heavy trafficked bathrooms. If you’re in the main part of the lounge, the only part there really is to this skyclub, it is always crowded and never quiet. The dome shape roof in two areas is great for acoustics, and even if you’re trying to get the attention of the entire skyclub, but the end of your call or conversation, everyone will have hears just about every word spoken. Oftentimes conversations between two individuals or someone on a cell phone is resonated across the entire skyclub, even when whispering! Truly a poor design for a skyclub and maybe better used in a theater

[​IMG]

Today I visited the lounge again for my last farewell. My Skyclub membership is expiring and at this time I have no interest in renewing it, mainly because the LAX lounge is my home lounge and isn’t worth visiting, for it’s truly not any less hectic than the airport itself. At 4pm on a Saturday the club was probably at 65% of capacity and trying to find a place to plug my lap top in so I could perform a bit of work before boarding my short flight to Vegas was nearly impossible. The club has a serious shortage of plugs and computer work stations. If this is how it is on a Saturday evening, I do not want to fathom Monday morning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Kitchen/bar area of this skyclub is a galley in the middle of the club against one wall. The upside to this bar is it’s self-serve. However, at the same time this Saturday the club was very short on supply and was out of Jack Daniels. The bar doesn’t have anything high quality, or top shelf, but a free Jack or Sky Vodka drink isn’t bad either. Food selection at this skyclub is the same as the rest of the clubs and includes crackers, hummus, cheese, olives, carrot and celery sticks, cookies, etc. However again it was Saturday and the food choices were slim pickings, leaving only crackers, olives, carrots and celery sticks to be chosen from. No cheese, cookies, hummus, etc. I wish all the time that Delta would follows Alaska lead and provide soup and salad!

[​IMG]
    Overall my stay at the skyclub was brief today. It was my last visit and honestly I don’t see myself missing it all that much. When I walked in and departed the lounge, the staff at the entrance were too busy amongst themselves (all 4 of them) to notice me until I coughed. Then on departure they again were huddled in a group laughing and talking not noticing guests depart from the lounge. It would be nice if this skyclub at least offered good customer service, since the space is lacking quality and the bar was optionless.

2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the Delta lounge at LAX.

DeltaExpert and daemon14 like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You left off the elevator ! Slowest I've seen anywhere.

DTWBOB

rwoman likes this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the LAX SC. In fact, I'll be spending a few hours there in a few days.

I've never had problems in the quiet zone that are a little bit past the restrooms. It's not as big as it could be, but I've never had problems getting a seat there.

The big round area in front of the check-in desk is too big, and the seating is awkward. Plus there's a lack of power ports since most of the seating is far from a wall. The bar area is decent. The work area with views of the tarmac is great.

It's a good club for a non-hub location.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate the elevator, love the bar and showers. I wish DL hadn't removed the cubicles; the current white plastic work stations are tiny, unprivate, and have uncomfortable seating. Overall, it's much better than the MSP F/G SC that followed this one in design.

ADDED. I've generally been positively impressed by the staff, but I haven't tested them recently on anything complicated.

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The staff has been fine, but ++ on the slow elevator, and the availability of outlets is abysmal...