Delta shuttering more MSP/NWA facilities

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ryan Bingham, Jun 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was announced after the close of business on June 7, that several Minneapolis/St.Paul facilities will be closed down and the work transferred to...surprise, Atlanta! The former NWA facilities that are being terminated are:

NATCO - the large pilot training facility next door to Building A, the former NWA Inc. headquarters in Eagan.

MSP In-flight training

Delta MSP Tech Ops/Engineering - this includes the shuttering of the tall building attached to Building C and the large, widebody hangars that are hidden from I-494. The building houses all sorts of maintenance and engineering folks as well as reps from Airbus and Boeing. Building C, the former Republic headquarters, will be kept as well as the hangars for narrowbody aircraft that face I-494.

According to the e-mail from Richard, everyone will be offered a similar position in Atlanta. The moves are expected to take a year.

I've already heard from a couple of former NWA folks who trained at NATCO and they're saddened. I personally don't think this should shock anyone. Despite the assurances made during the merger, Delta's finding there is no need for duplicate facilities in ATL and MSP.

2. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd fully expect the second wave of shutdowns will happen next summer (e.g. Delta North I.T., Chisholm call center, etc.). There's no business reason to have (or the beancounters to allow) any facilities beyond what they need at MSP.

3. Not surprised but this is too bad for Minnepolis & St Paul.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is so sad.

However, I don't understand the prediction regarding the Iron Range Call Center in Chisholm. Why would DL eliminate an outstanding call center while maintaining multiple mediocre call centers around the country?

Also, does anyone know what DL is obligated to continue as a condition of previous funding deals from the state?

BondAir007, rwoman, mtkeller and 2 others like this.
  5. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    10,000 employed in Minnesota and over 400 departures at MSP through 2016, when last of airport bonds are paid off by Delta to the MAC.

6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with MSPeconomist, DL's unlikely to shut down the Chisholm call center. For some things, there's not a lot of sense in the cost of maintaining multiple facilities. DL's only shown a tendency to shut down call centers overseas so far.

rwoman, DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are talking about DL here, aren't we?!? This would be SOP for them. I'll give the first big example: Website

9. msp2anywhere
    Original Member

msp2anywhere Active Member

Status Points:
    Not. Surprising. At. All.

I'm still smarting over them pulling the MSP-HNL direct. Come 2016 Terminal One will be nothing more than a giant RJ base.

I'm guessing Chisholm will remain open, as the economy on da Range is still such that they could spike the pay down to (near) minimum wage and there will still be plenty of well qualified labor available.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please don't throw accountants under the bus. Decisions like this are made to maximize returns to shareholders, not merely satisfy the desires of the accounting departing.

Assuming you have any sort of pension (government sponsored or private), you are probably a shareholder, too.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't MN have a higher than federal minimum wage?

12. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Statewide no. Not sure if airport/Delta is subject to Minneapolis' living wage ordinance, if it is the effective minimum is ~$13.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a Minneapolis city ordinance,no, it wouldn't include the airport or the NW/DL facilities near the airport. OTOH, if it's Hennepin County, then the area around the airport would be included in the country. (IIRC, the Mesaba offices are located in another county.)