Delta Sends 11,000 Employees to Charm School

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Counsellor, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Extract:
    Will it help?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/201102...00employeestocharmschoolxidrssfullnationyahoo

DiverDave likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It won't hurt.

3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should also be a requirement that passengers attend such a class as well. The angry, confused and lost passengers clog up the system for everyone else waiting.

I always enjoy having the opportunity to interact with an agent after they have had a bad customer experience. All I have to do is be nice, offer a few words of encouragement and tell them I cannot believe how the previous person has treated them and they will usually go "above and beyond" to try to help me with whatever issue I am dealing with.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to argue with that!

5. I could tell a huge difference between the FA's that had attended the Velvet Rope Tour the first couple of months after it started and those who had not gone. No doubt this will make a difference as well.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah can't hurt..

7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame that more airlines do not do the same. [​IMG]

the seagull likes this.
  8. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think every airline should send ALL of their front-line employees to charm school as a training requirement.

9. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    All Delta/NW employees received training at some point, like hire-in. So, this is retraining. It appears the gap between the initial training and the retraining was too long. DL management needs to decide what a more appropriate length of time between training is and stick with it.

10. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While attending the course is one thing, follow-up is needed to ensure what was presented in the class is being applied. Something along the lines of 'secret shopper', where the 'secret shoppers' know what to expect and then see how well the employees apply the course material.

11. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that periodic 'secret shopper' check-ups are a great idea to monitor performance and training effectiveness. There's no other way for management to effectively monitor employee conduct, good or bad.

I don't know the exact time span of the re-training, but it seems more than coincidence that I have been taking in names and sending out complimentary emails on nearly every trip I take lately (two more yesterday). I wish we got more than three 'job well done' certificates. I'm a firm believer that particularly bad employee conduct should be reported - I can't hold management responsible for working unobserved/unreported problems. I am also a firm believer in sending in praise when I think an employee has done a great job. Sometimes it doesn't rise to 'above and beyond the call of duty', but I have no problem with recognizing someone who has done a very good job.

I frequently (sigh) fly in 'Y' and in my emails to DL I emphasize that the real differentiator in economy has to be the people - IMHO, there's little to differentiate between different airline hard products, but the staff can make a huge difference.

Westsox likes this.
  12. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we would all commit to filling out at least one comment card for every airline, hotel & restaurant we visit the establishments might take notice. Also be sure to praise a job well done as well as report issues.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful- most cards would be filled out by the very upset or the very content- the "average" user experience doesn't come through very well in this scenario.

14. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is why we should HONESTLY comment every visit.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue is EVERY visit- this is why the LH system of handing out random comment cards during flights works more accurately for a statistical sample.

16. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that charm school for EVERYONE sends a powerful message to both customers and staff that DL is serious about providing good service.

17. They just need some Love !

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, empowering the employees to be able to respond to customers in a meaningful way sounds a much more powerful message :)

19. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Providing good service is nice but it does not make up for a bad product.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  20. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so it's fine that they are getting more education. But why do my friends have to email me the articles about the Charm School along with a snotty note asking why I would ever even think of flying Delta? I think I have to do some culling.

21. They are there to serve me. I do not need to attend anything.

22. Spot on. I think the concept is a good idea as long as the employees are willing to take it seriously and put it into practice. Hopefully we'll see a difference at DL in the coming months!