Delta selling "almost Silver" status -- $199 valid until January 5th.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by LarryInNYC, Sep 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got an email with an offer from Delta to sell me a "Smart Travel Pack" with five benefits that would valid on all my flights (and those of my companions) from the day after date-of-purchase through January 5th, 2014. The cost is $199.

The benefits are:
    1. First bag free.
    2. Zone 1 boarding.
    3. Access to "priority" seats in economy for no charge.
    4. Discount on economy comfort (50% discount domestic, 25% discount international)
    5. 20% mileage bonus (redeemable miles only, and the bonus only applies to the purchaser of the deal, not other PAX on the same reservation).
    Seems pretty similar (but not identical) to Silver Medallion or credit card "pseudo-status". I don't have any Delta travel scheduled and won't be taking advantage. But someone without status or the credit card who is planning on buying economy comfort seats or travelling with a lot of luggage might find it worthwhile.

mht_flyer likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's not terrible if you have a few flights coming up... I think EC is $39 on some domestic flights, and first bag is $25.

If you have two people on a PNR that's $128 for EC and one bag each. With a couple of trips this package basically pays for itself.

Alas, I have very little Delta travel coming up *and* I didn't get the offer (yet) :)

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the discount on E+ is 50% for domestic, it would only be $89 of value for that single flight (double, of course, for round trip).

It did say it's only open to "general" (non-status?) SkyMiles members.

viguera likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that DL would offer this right before the busy holiday travel season. Yeah, it's generally a fairly low demand travel in some weeks for business travel from now through early January, but if a family is traveling together for Thanksgiving and also for Christmas/New Year's, they'd save a lot more in fees than the $199 price.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah doing the math with an LGA-TPA flight I'm seeing EC for two people would cost $156, and one bag would be $100 (1 bag each person at $25 each way). If you have more than one flight or more than one person per flight *and* you're planning to buy EC *and* you're planning to check a bag each, then it makes sense.

They should have thrown a Skyclub pass in there or something too and sweeten the deal. :)

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that it's targeted at family holiday travel -- with a four person family even one round-trip could make it pay out.

viguera likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, please! SCs are crowded zoos already. We don't want to encourage people to bring in more kids.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

LOL

Interestingly enough I'm on a 3pm out of LGA on Tuesday the 24th and I'm wondering whether I should get there early and try for the SC to do some work or just work as much as possible and get to the airport at my usual "just about late enough to be worried" time :)

9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    no upgrade chances though...

US Sells silver for 90 days for the same price. Smaller network, but what delta is doing is not unheard of.

10. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the title is misleading. Why not title the post with what the correct product name?

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

As the original poster, I took a great deal of care writing the title so that it would include all the critical pieces of information using the least number of words. Looking at it in retrospect, I can't see anything whatsoever inaccurate or misleading about it.

Specifically, the important part of this story is not what Delta chose to call this product, it's that the product elevates you almost to Silver Medallion status for a given period for a one-time payment.

If you care to point out what about the title you believe to be misleading, I'll certainly consider writing in to ask to have it changed (I don't believe I can do it myself).

12. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta selling "almost Silver" status -- $199 valid until January 5th.

That in itself is misleading, to me. I received the email as well.

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

I know which part you're referring to -- you posted a comment saying that I was misleading people with the title and that is, in fact, the title.

But WHAT is misleading about it? The date and amount are correct, right? Do you feel the description ""almost Silver" status" not accurate? Do you feel that it's not accurate to say Delta is effectively selling status?

I seriously want to know in what way think I'm misleading people. I'm thinking you're seeing something obviously wrong in the headline and I can't, for the life of me, figure out what it is you're seeing.

14. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont like them giving away Zone 1 boarding since it currently is only a Skyteam Elite Plus benefit :(

viguera likes this.