Delta, Seattle and Making Diamond in 2011

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SA_Tosterud, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Greetings,

Can someone suggest a way to get 20k EQM's on Delta in (hopefully) one trip? I'd like to start and end the journey in SEA, PDX or IND and do it over the course of a couple of days.

That was my newbie question. My more general question is: How can I help myself with this type of thing in the future? I have no idea how to go about purposely booking multi-stop trips for as little money as possible. I don't mind sifting through these forum threads, but I'm not sure I have enough time to do all the research in that manner. Can someone suggest tools on this site to streamline the research process a little?

Thank you,
    ~Steve

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hey SA_Tosterud, welcome to MP. :)

I just replied to another newbie about Delta, so I suppose I'll give you essentially the same message.....

We keep our cheap flights listed here: LINK and our Delta experts hang out here: LINK. These will be the places where you can really answer your questions in depth, and if you stick around will most likely be the places you spend the most time.

It takes awhile to get used to the lingo and acronyms, but we're a friendly bunch. There are other sites that have information like this, but I think MP is probably the best place to come if you're new and want to ask questions. You won't get beat up for it here. So take some time and do lots of reading in those area, and ask lots of questions. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

Happy flying.

cennas, rwoman and zpaul like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will not be cheap, but starting from IND and traveling RT to Asian destinations such as PVG or HKG with an M+ fare should work. For discount coach, check whether SIN or SYD would be enough miles. Watch out for the direct flights and remember to use direct air miles, not taking account of the stop in NRT or LAX.

cennas, hulagrrl210 and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    SA_Tosterud,

Welcome to MP! As MSPeconomist stated, Asia or Australia are probably the easiest trips to earn 20k MQM. Other options could be one of the American Express cards, but the offers vary for accumulating MQMs and it's late in the year to hit the minimum spend on a DL branded AMEX. AMEX Membership Rewards runs various offers - check the AMEX forum. There is also currently a promo with Hilton - stay 2 nights and earn 250 MQM.

Use the links DestinationDavid posted as well to get an idea about possibilities.

We are here to help, but it'll require some work on your part too!

:)robin

cennas and Gargoyle like this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking to fly out of SEA and PDX, maybe try using Alaska Airlines using you DL number. I know as Mileage Plan Members we earn EQM's (or MQM's as you call them) on DL, I'm pretty sure it works the other way around too. (I know AAdvantage members earn EQM's on AS). However, using AS means probably doing a few domestic runs instead of one big international one. The plus to this is that if you have any sort of status you may be eligible for free domestic upgrades.

Tools that I recommend: www.farecompare.com/flyertalk and you may want to sign up for alerts from airfarewatchdog.com

Other than that, get familiar with www.itasoftware.com

cennas and rwoman like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:

IIRC, DL elites get upgraded after all Alaska elites have been upgraded on Alaska flights, so be careful. You are looking at a low priority battlefield upgrade, although the upgrade is not impossible.

rwoman and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works the same way for us AS folks on DL, but I have been upgraded on a Delta flight before (but then I've also been 18/18 on the list for a flight with 6 empty seats). I guess compared to your chances of scoring a free international upgrade, it's pretty good :)

rwoman and Mrs. Gargoyle like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct - I've had no issue earning MQM's on AS flights...including those booked via the AS website. Always check to make sure your booking class earns RDM/MQM though! :) - http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#AS

9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP SA_Tosterud!

lwkatya, hulagrrl210 and rwoman like this.