Delta ready to roll-out upgraded 767-300ER w/ Lie-flat biz elite and tail to nose IFE.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by VVanderlust, Jul 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that KLM-AF & Alitalia were part of the mod design.....

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...line=Delta Sees Delay In Modifying 767 Cabins

Source: Aviation Weekly
    Jul 6, 2011

Delta Sees Delay in Modifying 767 Cabins
    By Kristin Majcher
    Delta Air Lines is slightly behind schedule on delivering its newly modified Boeing 767-300ER aircraft, but it says that the first aircraft in this, “the mother of all modifications,” underwent flight tests last week.
    The airline needs to do some more work on plumbing and laying up laminates, but it expects the first delivery of the new cabin by Aug. 1.
    The airline is matching the 767-300ERs to the 767-400ERs. The project entails installing flat-bed seats in the new first-class equivalent of Business Elite, personal inflight entertainment throughout the cabin and adding Economy Comfort, a bridge between Business Elite and regular economy. Chris Babb, product manager of customer experience, says that joint-venture partners Air France-KLM and Alitalia played a role in choosing the interior design.
    “Since we announced the joint venture with our partners Air France and subsequently KLM and Alitalia, we had quarterly meetings that rotate around the different hub cities of those airlines,” says Babb.
    Photo: airteamimages.com

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know which routes will get the modified 767s first?

BeachMiles and jbcarioca like this.
  3. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope for MSP-CDG!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish, but given that this route had the worst aircraft in the entire DL system (a 767 with old dark blue cloth seat covers) the first summer of the merger, I highly doubt it.

5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping SEA-PEK first! :)

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there was a list over on FT at one point, but given the delays and winter capacity reductions TATL, it's probably no longer accurate. I'm wondering about ATL-LGW, as a way to take care of all LON service. (I'd love to use LGW, but I don't care for the idea of the old 763 in Y without AVOD.) Something tells me ATL routes will probably see the first few of these, however. ATL-CDG would make a lot of sense, since it's really dumb to have such awful equipment running between two of the JV's biggest hubs.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other considerations would be competitiveness, that is where other carriers have flat beds. There's also a rationale for using them on the longest routes, where they matter most. Ultimately it should be where they increase profits the most, maybe by being able to raise BE fares even more or sell more M+ fares.

BeachMiles, traveller99 and mtkeller like this.
  8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good points. Seems like TPAC routes might hit most/all of those things. How many TPAC routes are on 763s right now?

9. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first 763ER they are referring to, incidentally, already has the AVOD PTVs installed in Economy. They did not modify those PTVs except server size has increased to allow for more content (more like the 777 selections rather than the smaller selection currently available on the 767s).

The 763ER will have the same number of BE seats as today (36), configured at 9 rows of 1-2-1 (compared to 10 rows on the 764ER).

BOS-LHR was originally loaded with the flat-bed BE 763ER for the winter, but has since been switched back to the 764ER (they probably had difficulty rotating the 763ER onto the BOS-LHR route since it would be the only LHR route to get the 763ER, while all others were getting the 764ER). However, if DL were to decide to cut BOS-LHR capacity and downgauge from the 764ER to the 763ER again, it would be one of the routes to get the flat-bed 763ER.

10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was MIA-LHR to downgauge as well? Can't remember. If BOS-LHR went down to the 763, there'd still be a 764 with flat beds to move onto another route, so that's not a real change in offering in the grand scheme of things.

BeachMiles, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only a few west coast, IIRC PDX and SFO, maybe SEA and SLC when it operates. LAX-NRT is the A330. I don't think the 767s have sufficient range to reach Asia from the rest of the country.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I smile every time I see the thread title. I love the phrase "nose to tail" referring to a plane rather than a tiger. Can't you just imagine the transformation?

13. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm seeing ATL-FRA.

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice try guys, but GIG-ATL has dibs on the first one!:D:p

BeachMiles, traveller99 and rwoman like this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL 145/144 between BOS and LHR is scheduled as a 752.

I wonder if they will put the 763 with lay flats on the route...I think this was the original plan IIRC.

BeachMiles likes this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right. The plan was to put both flights to 763s for the summer, but when they couldn't do that, they kept the 764 and went with a 752, which has roughly the same Y capacity (but less J, and they're selling 145/144 as all Y from what I can see). With 145/144 suspended for the winter, who knows what they'll be doing.

BeachMiles likes this.
  17. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how they are allocating the J seats on this plane? Might route some flights through London to take advantage if it is a 'free' upgrade for elites.

BeachMiles likes this.
  18. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen anything on how that flight is being handled in terms of the J seats. Can't imagine SMS would have much of a clue, either, unfortunately. I'd like to think they're offering Y service and moving elites up into those seats, but who knows.

19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I need to see about booking a trip and find out. :D

20. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing the PEK routes will be the first with the lie flat. As is obvious, it is a high traffic and high dollar route. To be honest, the 763 is one reason my next trip to CDG (ex ATL) is on AF. DL is WAY behind the 8-ball when it comes to updating the cabin.

mtkeller likes this.
  21. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Daily SLC-CDG should be in the mix here

BeachMiles likes this.
  22. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any update for the 747 modifications?

BeachMiles likes this.
  23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    on a 763 TATL flight a couple days ago, a family in economy comfort was raising a stink- they insisted that Delta.com had promised them IFE and that Delta would pay for misleading them. It was a strictly 763 route, so not a matter of DL swapping out equipment.

Once we took off, their kids stayed pretty quiet, it was only the parents who were upset.

BeachMiles likes this.
  24. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 1st 744 is supposed to go in for the mods in late summer (late August IIRC). But don't expect it to be quick; this will be the 'pilot' aircraft (which means extra time for tests and FAA certification), and they will also be doing the entire aircraft (new AVOD PTV-equipped Y seats in addition to the flat-bed BE installation), unlike the 777/764 mods where they were only doing the BE upgrades. The entire 744 fleet is scheduled to be done by mid-2012.

I think DL loaded JFK-PSA (as well as JFK-TXL, JFK-ZRH, JFK-BUD) as being operated by the 76T aircraft. These are the 7 767-300ERs equipped to fly longer-range routes such as CAI and AMM, and they already have AVOD PTVs in Y); that's why when you try to book these 76T flights, the website will indicate that these flights will have PTVs in Coach. However, they haven't stuck to this schedule, and the 76Ts have been flying all kinds of TATL and TPAC routes this summer, from other gateways (ATL, DTW, etc.) besides JFK.

BeachMiles and Gargoyle like this.
  25. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand they are fitting the longer routes first. I just booked JFK to NCE ,BE, 767-300ER. late April 2012, Mid May 2012. Any chance they get Lay flat seats installed , on JFK to Nice, France by then? The seat selection map does not look updated.

Horse likes this.