Delta raising MQD requirements?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Oct 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised there is no thread about this yet...

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/10/delta-raising-medallion-qualifying-dollar-thresholds-in-2015/

Quote:

Delta is increasing the MQD requirements for earning 2016 Medallion status, which is based on flights flown between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015, as follows:

• Silver Medallion MQDs increasing to $3,000 (Previously $2,500)
    • Gold Medallion MQDs increasing to $6,000 (Previously $5,000)
    • Platinum Medallion MQDs increasing to $9,000 (Previously $7,500)
    • Diamond Medallion MQDs increasing to $15,000 (Previously $12,500)

marcwint55 and Newscience like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was no source cited ASFAIK, so who knows.

Crappy they would change these rules now instead of sooner.

redtailshark likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muahahahahaha! What do you expect when DL SM "has your back"? Do you think it can be anything other than:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

BamaGirl likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DELTA SUCKS

5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is confirmed. I just received an email from Delta about the 2016 requirements. I think they are trying to "lessen" the number of elites so that upgrades are harder to get. I have a DL Amex card, which really does help avoid the MQD issues.

anileze and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is that? Do purchases charged to the Card count toward MQD?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor likes this.
  8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Monitizing Business class certainly has worked for DL as my buying habits have changed. I purchase biz more times than not, especially when it's priced slightly more than coach. Status no longer means what it used to. Unfortunately I have been clawing and scratching my way to Gold since there's a significant improvement in benefits. In the end, these changes are good for DL and for the true "elites" but not the masses, which is the point after all.

anileze and Counsellor like this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the explanation, but that feature probably won't be helpful for me.

My principal card is the SPG AMEX for the Starpoints (stem cells of the miles/points world); I have credit cards with American, United, and Delta primarily for the double miles for purchases of tickets on those airlines, and to use where AMEX is not accepted. On the other hand, the Delta AMEX -- like the United MC -- waives foreign currency conversion fees and foreign transaction fees, which SPG does not yet do, so my Delta card may get more use overseas. I usually use the Marriott Visa (for Marriott and meal purchases) or the United MC (all others) for overseas transactions and I'll add the Delta AMEX to that mix.

Still and all, I can't see throwing nearly $25K at Delta that would have gotten Starpoints just to avoid the MQDs when I would still need miles or segments to get Medallion anyway. As usual, YMMV.

HaveMilesWillTravel and anileze like this.
  10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now... while y'all are distracted by the increase in MQD requirements, what about the no free UG SM policy that's about to materialize? No Medallion UG! I wonder how DL apologists will defend this new policy. They are entertaining indeed.

Understand, I can't stop laughing! Off the precipice now! Why anyone has any faith in DL maintaining a program that is even mildly useful to the vast majority of consumers, I cannot understand. Emboldened by the lack of response to his 635k demands from PHL to FCO, which were notorious indeed, Jeff has moved fast and as stealthily as possible....meantime, since 2010, smokescreens of mejor en su clase propaganda seem to have had the effect of convincing some customers that it's worth hanging on, just-one-more-year-maybe-it-will-get-a-little-better..... Amazing!

DL wants to rip you off. They deliver no value other than the carriage. You DL folks accept this whipping and continue buying their product while expecting something more than just carriage (SM)...Jeff wins big and you...go home.

I think I will need to post a blog that covers spicy topics not only such as board censorship but also SM program enhancements and ways for fallen Elites to learn kayaking and other indispensable tricks for the New Era. It's quite liberating...for example, my Flex Perks reward points allow me to WFBF if I want it and I could even buy it on DL, if it pleased me. But why would I do that? I can choose any other competitor and some of them offer real benefits.

MX likes this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup ! Got an email today announcing that change too. I ain't spending 12c/mile. I'll use my MM status and take a hardlook at AA for an year or so.

FetePerfection likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It won't affect me since I am not a Delta flyer, but UA will likely (IMO) follow. Since I got MM status last year, though, I haven't really bothered to even track PQDs or PQMs. Certainly wouldn't spend 12c/mile (on avg) for my near-100% personally funded travel.

Counsellor and mht_flyer like this.
  13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    MM for me next year that's my one and only focus.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is my game plan as well, which solidifies with every announcement of another SkyPeso program change that UA emulates mindlessly...

Counsellor and mht_flyer like this.
  15. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm very glAAd that I switched when I did!

16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome AAdam_flyer, and should I mention, the switch makes for an easier screen name! :)

AAdam_flyer and mht_flyer like this.
  17. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only thing that surprised me is that they didn't modify the DL AmEx loophole. I strongly suspect they will sooner rather than later. It would not surprise me to see them only offer the MQD waiver to only DL Reserve cardholders. (somewhere in the big building on Va Ave an MBA is drooling at just the thought of the extra revenue from the yearly card fees).

anileze and mht_flyer like this.
  18. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't help but think of the double meanings hidden in some Delta advertisements. The 'Keep Climbing' clearly is a nod to the medallion requirements.

Attached Files:

mht_flyer, bigx0 and WilliamQ like this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is so funny.
    Now you can't say they did not warned you:)

mht_flyer and ACMM like this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that DL will also be imposing limits on the number of miles that can be transferred into DL, IIRC 250,000 total per DL FF account per year.

Counsellor likes this.
  21. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they stole my phrase for their advertising!!
    I stated: "When everyone is special, no one is!!"
    Delta: "When everyone is elite, no one is elite"

anileze and traveller99 like this.