Delta Quietly Rolls out Economy Comfort

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sunday afternoon when flying from SFO to LAX on a CRJ 900, I was sitting in the 4th row of 1st class when I noticed something different about the first row of economy on the plane. The head rest read "economy comfort." Delta has already rolled out Economy Comfort on transcontinental service from SFO and LAX to JFK and on most long haul international flights. However this was the first time I saw the light sliver head rest that read "economy comfort" on a regional jet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently Delta.com is NOT showing economy comfort availability on any flights other than international and transcontinental to JFK flights. The seat maps have also not been updated on delta.com to show that the economy comfort has been launched or that plans have been reconfigured. Once reconfigured, green seats will appear on the seat map. I did not notice the change until the end of the flight, so I was not able to get up to see if a row was removed from the plane or to see how Delta managed to squeeze another a few more inches of leg room and recline into the first three rows of the aircraft.

Per Delta, Economy comfort will be launched on all flights Summer of 2012. At this time, Economy Comfort will be available across its entire mainline fleet for an additional introductory fee of $19 to $99. The fee is waived for Delta Diamond/ Platinum/ Gold Medallion, and those customers in higher economy fares such as Y, B & M. In addition, Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum/ Gold members, SkyTeam Elite Plus, and Alaska Airlines MVP Gold will receive economy comfort for free, however it will only be 50% OFF for Delta Silver Medallions, Flying Blue Silver, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP.

So for those of you flying today and are not or are Silver elite, try to grab a seat in the first few rows of the aircraft (usually reserved for elites until just a few hours before the flight), for you may end up in Delta's economy comfort, which promises a minimum of a 34" pitch, 3" more than Delta's Standard 31" pitch, before it's officially launched and more fees are added on.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is nothing new....same thing happened last year with international EC.

:)

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only non-IROPs time I've not sat in row 30 of the 764 was during the EC installation phase before making PM. Was glad to have a laptop outlet, but I'm back to row 30. Since the domestic fleet doesn't have such awesome seats as row 30 on the 764, I'm more likely to look at EC domestically. I've got an A320 flight coming up and have managed to get 4C, which is the new first row of coach. Not sure if it's EC-related that I can pre-select it, but if my upgrade doesn't clear (MSP-OMA, so I think it should), I'll have a nice seat.

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, if you end up LHR-JFK, watch out for the 763...has lay flats, but different exit rows...and those lovely bulkhead EC seats!

:)

5. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Aware that this happened last year before the roll out on transcontinental and international flights, however it was the first time I say it on a regional jet. Just a little FYI so people can sit in it now, and enjoy the few extra inches of room for free

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do everything in my power to avoid JFK. Alas, I'm doing YHZ-JFK-MSP-OMA next month with 45 minutes in the JFK RJ farm (CRJ to CR9). It's booked as a separate ticket, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for SDC options. (First time I've had a purely domestic ticket since achieving a level of status that would allow free SDC.) The YHZ-DTW flight is poorly timed for connections to OMA, but three hours in a DTW SC could be better than a Canadian Torture Tube, 45 minute dash at JFK, CR9 to MSP, 2:45 at MSP, and then an A320 to MSP. Oh, and the DTW flight leaves YHZ later so I don't have to be at YHZ for an 0622 departure.

rwoman likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all the groups of passengers entitled to EC for free or cheap, I hope they are putting enough of these seats on planes to accommodate everybody.

traveller99 and DiverDave like this.
  8. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Ho
    Honestly I do not think people take advantage of them. I Flew JFK to SFO this week (on a sunday morning) but every middle seat in Econ comfort was empty. It was nice for me!

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Middle seats are hardly worthy of the 'comfort' moniker.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean you do not want TWO elbows digging into your sides?? ;)

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that domestic EC hasn't been officially rolled out yet. The seats are not designated as being special in the seat maps for domestic flights yet.

rwoman likes this.
  12. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Domestic EC has been rolled out on the transcon flights and are indicated on the seat maps. But ONLY the 757-200er flying to/from LAX/SFO and JFK see the seat maps on delta.com or try to book a flight from JFK to LAX or SFO, you'll see the EC option.

[​IMG]

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the seat map, it looks like 19B and 19C are EC but not 19A. If there are service differences, like on international, this could be amusing to see.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how this could be since its by row. As a "new" occasional delta flyer I've seen EC domestically quite a bit. Hoping it's on my 752's tomorrow STL-ATL-MCI (don't ask... no MEM connection avail at the right price). Definitely in a bulkhead seat.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the seat map: 19A is not green! This might be a free EC seat or it could be an exit row seat surrounded by EC which isn't EC. Not that DL would ever get a seat map wrong!

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't have EC listed on any domestic flights other than the transcons... it's hit or miss at this point.

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    19A is an EC seat, but they do not market it as EC because there's a large slide that impedes legroom. :)

Thread that answers most EC questions to date: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/economy-comfort-where-should-i-sit.21096/

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at that thread you started, but the only comment I see on 19A is about the slide and legroom, which I would have guessed since changing to EC seating doesn't alter the structure of the aircraft or specifically reposition the slide. However, what does it really mean to have one seat surrounded by EC that isn't itself "marketed as EC"? Do the FAs really not give drinks to 19A? If 19A is reserved for elites anyway, they mostly get it for free, but maybe not calling it EC is a warning about the slide space issue.

19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's strange...19A is just as much of an EC seat as the rest of them....minus the slide... I was actually booked in that seat for ATL-JFK last month since it was my best option towards the front of the plane, but was upgraded...

I have not looked to see if 19A is marketed as EC on TATL flights...

20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at PHL-CDG as an example...19A is in blue with the others not the green for EC...I too would be surprised if they distinguish between the two...

21. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enough of the DL Economy Comfort! Its time for DYKWIA Comfort Class on DL! :p

DeltaExpert and USAF_Pride like this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DYKWIA comfort or discomfort class?

BTW, welcome back. I haven't seen you around here in a while.

23. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL 1914 (md88) today has about 3 rows of EC. Seat map did not reflect any indication of EC. Rows 24 and 25 exit have significantly more leg room than EC.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat maps aren't updated for EC yet because it's not guaranteed across all the equipment yet. Exit rows don't recline like EC does. You pick your poison.

25. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    haha :)