Delta prices out of MSP?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by tabff, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tabff

tabff New Member

Status Points:
    Having difficultly staying on delta, their prices are 200+ for most flights lately, as business traveler have to take the cheapest flights weekly, any one else having same issues? Suggests, do not want to lose my status!

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to hub captivity.

Not really sure what to suggest as this is not a problem I've dealt with in the past. (LAX has some of the best prices around).

3. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a leisure traveler I have the same issue (wanting to take the cheapest flights). As a former Delta elite, I've gotten used to the back of the bus. The money saved on airfare can buy an awful lot more value in hotels & dining, etc.

The worst is the decision on what price to pay for connecting when DL is the only non-stop carrier.

The good news for MSP is that Southwest, Spirit, Sun Country and others seem to be offering more price fluctuations to take advantage of.

4. dtmarz

dtmarz Active Member

Status Points:
    Try pricing a connection from a location near MSP. You may save money on the flight.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to see this working for MSP. IIRC service to/from St Cloud has ended, so Duluth and Rochester would be the closest airports. Neither one seems to be cheap, nor is MSN. MKE is a long drive. I guess one could try Sioux Falls, Cedar Rapids, etc. but I'm not optimistic and a long drive would be required, only to fly back to MSP for onward connections.

6. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta seems to price their hub-direct (nonstop) flights a lot higher. I live a 30 minute flight (3 hour drive) outside ATL. To fly to ATL is $800+ sometimes, even though I can be on that same exact flight going to JAX or RDU or other cities for ~$250.

Meanwhile, I could take UA or AA with a connection for ~$300-400... but at that point I might as well drive. Surely their revenue management team has a strategy behind this... but who knows.