Delta Platinum Status Challenege

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by snapper, May 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    Just received this promotion via email..obviously I participated in the MR transfer and am currently a GM

Mr. Snapper

Thank you for your recent points transfer. We hope you're enjoying your new Gold Medallion® status. We value your business and would like to help you get the most out of your Medallion benefits. That's why we're ready to help you bridge the gap to the next Medallion status level.

For a limited time, register, then fly just three paid round-trip domestic flights or two paid round-trip international flights, and we'll grant you Platinum Medallion status. As an exclusive offer, this is just a small percentage of the standard Medallion Qualification Segments you would need to reach Platinum Medallion status.

As a Platinum Medallion member, you get to choose one of these Choice Benefits, in addition to the Gold Medallion benefits you already enjoy:
    • 4 Systemwide Upgrades
    • 20,000 bonus miles
    • Gifting Silver Medallion status to a friend or family member
    • 4 Delta Sky Club® One-Day passes
    • Various travel/retail gift cards
    http://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/earlyplatinum/

BostonGator likes this.
  2. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    Oddly enough I am considering not registering for it. I fly probably 25-30 K BIS a year and was planning on stopping at 74K MQM this year so I can take advantage of the rollover and easily keep GM status. I think if I do this promotion I will only rollover MQMs in excess of 75k and thus in 2012 will have to fly 50K+ BIS to regain GM.

3. BostonGator

BostonGator Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't get the email but it worked for me!

jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right about how your rollover MQMs would be treated without any explicit statement from DL to the contrary.

It also doesn't say how long PM would last. One would hope that the answer is the same as if PM were earned in the usual way at this time, but nothing is said, so it might only be through February 2012 rather than February 2013. It also isn't explicit about the PM choice benefits calendar, which IIRC would normally be one choice now for the remainder of the 2011 program year and a second PM choice for earning PM for the 2012 program year. Normally newly qualified PM/DM get an additional round of choice selections unless DL has changed their procedures.

However, if it's PM through February 2013 that's being offered--i.e., for all of next year, just as if you were to hit 75K MQMs in the near future--you might wish to rethink your decision not to register. In this case, you might not get any rollover in early 2012, but you'd be set for 2012 with all of that year to earn MQMs for 2013 status levels.

5. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's all of 2012 but I am not sure on getting to chose benefits twice (once for remainder of 2011 and then again for 2012). Maybe after completing the challenge one doesn't even get PM until the start of 2012? Based on the full year of 2012 as PM I am leaning towards registering. I have 4-5 round trips in the next few weeks so it should be easy to get

"Bonus Offer: Qualify for 2012 Platinum Medallion status by flying 3 paid round-trip domestic tickets or 2 paid round-trip international tickets between date of registration and December 31, 2011."

6. capitalsfn

capitalsfn Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the silver to gold offer: http://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/earlygold/

I'm leaning towards holding off on it as well, depending on how long status is good for. I don't fly that much as it is, but I'm doing the HND mileage run, which should take me to 25k MQM miles and would like to have some rollover for next year...

PS I tried using the early____ formula to find the "early diamond" page, but it does not exist.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at the footnotes on the link you posted and it looks like it's PM though 2012, until the end of February 2013.

This seems like a good offer since the fare class, etc. isn't restricted, only that they be RT tickets (which might be interpreted to mean no open jaws either). Three cheap RTs in seven months doesn't seem like much at all. Of course some of the targeted group might earn PM this year anyway so that this offer just accelerates the benefits but for someone normally likely to finish just above 50K, three RTs could be 3K MQMs rather than 25K MQMs.

It would make any rollover you have this year largely irrelevant but you would need to worry in 2012 about how many MQMs you earn to maintain status.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another silver to gold offer recipient.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like another round of DL status inflation is starting.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to get inflated to Plat a few flights early I guess. I received the offer as well.

11. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the offer for Platinum as well - I transferred points during last year's promotion. I was trying to find ways to re-qualify for Gold this year when this offer came in.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  12. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am rather glad now I went for Diamond last year and will requalify for it this year. I considered dropping to Platinum, but with more PM inflation and living in a place where I fly a lot of transcons (transcons are the reason I keep the status; I have a much cheaper option for <1000 mile travel), upgrades are of utmost importance to me.

rwoman, DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist like this.
  13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried it, but being only 1,700 miles to renew PM for this year I got a rock. I will be PM on Fri

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL knew that, by definition, if you fly four segments you would be at PM based on miles, so there would be no point in making you the offer. Plus, now you can brag that you're a genuine BIS PM.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always been BIS. Now with rollover, DL is giving me the option to try other carriers even earlier in the year.

rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find it interesting that there's no clear requirement that the travel be on DL metal or DL ticket stock. In the middle of an AZ LHR-FCO-TLV that hasn't posted yet, but since I flew the outbound before registering, I'd not be surprised if it doesn't count. (Registered for GM->PM even though I've got the travel booked to make PM already.) I've then got a DL international, so clear-cut on that. However, I wonder if my AF LHR-CDG-PRG//BUD-CDG-LHR will count or not. (As MSPeconomist points out, there might be another issue on that one, as it's open jaw.) If the AZ and AF ones don't wind up counting, looks like the promo will get me to PM at the exact same moment that my MQMs do.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll be a double PM then. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get a double round of PM choice benefits but it could be amusing if DL's IT people didn't think of this contingency, just the same as if someone were to qualify to PM based both on MQMs and segments.

mtkeller and jmrich1432 like this.
  18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny, I was thinking the same thing - might as well go for my remaining 33.8k (12k already booked) to DM...I know it does me less good on the TATL's, but definitely will help on the transcon portions!

I'm already "cheating" this weekend and flying AA/BA to give OW a try...:oops:

Dovster and jmrich1432 like this.
  19. Henry
    Original Member

Henry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was allowed to register for silver to gold... hopefully it works.
    Code:
    Pay with Miles: Only Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles and Delta Reserve Credit Cardmembers, as well as Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business and Delta Reserve for Business Credit Cardmembers, with a U.S. point of sale address in their SkyMiles account are eligible.
    I'm curious as to why they would mention Pay with Miles. Are those the only cardmembers eligible for this?

20. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the Silver to Gold offer and fortunately my first round trip flight starts tomorrow!

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect they just copied and pasted T & C without reading. I noticed some fine print about SkyClubs which is similarly irrelevant.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful about assuming that this flight will count. The T & C say register first, then book, although similar provisions in the Together We Fly Delta promo last year weren't enforced.

23. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm - I don't think the T&Cs are super clear on that - I took flying 2 domestic flights or 1 intl flight between registration and 12/31 to be the deciding factor - if it needed to be purchased as well - then it may not count, but no big deal since I've still got 7 months left to go, but I appreciate the heads up on potential disappointment :)

24. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Not Like.

icurhere2 and ShopAround like this.
  25. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing personally against everyone here, but I really hate that DL is doing this. To quote Dash from "The Incredibles", "If everybody is special, then no one is".

BamaGirl and MSPeconomist like this.