Delta planning $170M revamp of delta.com

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ben, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak to the figure... though I wouldn't be surprised if it were more. As an IT geek, I have contact with many recruiters... several of whom are trying to fill contract and project staffing needs at Delta in MSP.

What's happening is that during the Delta - NWA merger, to merge IT systems they basically boiled down to the lowest common denominator, in many cases stepping back to the dark ages of web based IT (as many of us know it). This is a pretty common practice during mergers (AT&T / T-Mo could be interesting...).

Moving on, with the merging of systems behind them (Delta), they are now taking steps to move forward once again. It will still take some time, but many of the plans are in place and much groundwork in place as well - from efforts prior to the merger. Updates will have taken place, of course.

There should be many improvements on the way :)

bakedpatato and samonyc like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't read the end of the attached article without a subscription, but I do see a mention of MSP in the second post.

Here I can say that I know that a number of the MSP-based IT staff left during the merger. It's interesting that now DL seems to be scrambling a bit to replace these people.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  4. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope they don't mess with the look and feel too much. I've never flown Delta so don't know what the inside looks like, but I think the front page is an excellent example of how clean and easy to use all airline sites should be.

savydog, samonyc and DonV.Smith like this.
  5. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I can't speak to the nature of changes specifically. They wanted to have those chats with me but I went with a more lucrative opportunity instead :D

below sea level likes this.
  6. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    $170M got the new flash homepage. It's $1bn to get the Award Calendar to work.

7. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why does it cost $170 MILLION to fix a website? :rolleyes: I mean, it isn't called Delta.dumb just because, but...

GoneFlying and sobore like this.
  8. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consultants ;)

Actually, the site is made up a many applications and mostly running on older tech. 2-3 generations behind on application servers, they had moved towards portals back in 2005 but don't know if they are still on that path, and at this point SHOULD be leveraging web services or will be trying to - and may then be looking on service buses, etc.

Some should be easy to upgrade, some the code will be deprecated and require some level of rework.
    Also, there will be significant room for performance enhancements.

Quite likely hardware (servers, networking) and OS updates, etc. With everything they have, well... it adds up quick.

bakedpatato and samonyc like this.
  9. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    $150 million of that is going to new, improved hamster food to run the servers faster. The other $20 million is going into a pool to see when the award calendar will fix itself.

10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what is going to be fixed? The Award Calendar?

11. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather see this implemented sooner rather than later...

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm hoping this means a full gut rehab. While some of the front end design is quite nice, the underlying bones and nervous system are crumbling.

savydog likes this.
  13. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    The $$ for this are justified because of the eCommerce initiatives DL has underway. We of course know the First Class upsell (monitization) part, but they have a slew of other initiatives planned to upsell us and customize our purchases.

I think the sales/reservations side is pretty clear, but what they don't say is how the loyalty program will be affected. From what I understand since the loyalty piece is on a newer platform (NWA) it will be easier to integrate into the new sales/res part of the site, meaning we should finally have a better award calendar engine and NWA.com style customization of our purchases (points/miles combo reservations), pay from multiple sources, etc.

My fear is that once the award calendar is fixed, the real truth will become clearer: revenue mgmt/loyalty have limited the award seats at low levels, but the overall perception will be that everything is fixed because we will see more domestic award options (including partners and better routings) because the engine will work properly.

techguru, USAF_Pride and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That better be one hell of a site at that price, the whole internet only costs $400 million. :eek:

15. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it will be worse. The current calendar shows dates as green where low level awards do not exist. We were told in Atlanta, that is because there are flights at the low level but they are not legal to book due to illegal connections or other ground rules.

If the calendar gets fixed, the real truth as you say will become apparent and it will be even uglier than it looks now.

David

DonV.Smith likes this.
  16. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, lipstick doesn't come cheap. :eek:

David

17. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was that the cost when Al Gore invented it?

18. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand about airline websites is that the reason why they're so buggy and such a hassle to maintain and upgrade is because they have to interface with a bunch of systems(booking etc),most of which are quite old. Correct?
    I would also imagine hardware, the last time delta went through an update and told the public was in 2001 :eek:(http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/59639/Delta_to_change_core_technology)

DonV.Smith likes this.
  19. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that pretty well sums it up. Whether airline or other industry, there is a slew of disparate systems that made sense in the 80's... started making less sense in the 90s, and started changing for a lot of companies by 2005. New companies have an edge in this department.

Companies know there is a ton of information at the fingertips - but's if it all isolated /un-related, then to some degree it becomes meaningless. The trick has been to create the right relationships across the various systems to provide meaningful data - that then allows them to embrace the 21st century ;)

That's not always an easy task and can require significant analysis.

Then throw in the upgrades to the supporting infrastructure (hardware, licensed software), and training... Those $ change pretty fast.

$170M is a lot to us as individuals, but I'm working a project now that's running a little over 5x that figure and nobody broke a sweat giving the go-ahead on it.

20. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most everything will be impacted to some degree. In addition to upgrading/modernizing everything, there will also (likely) be a slew of new features / integration.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  21. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where that figures comes from, there are several 1B+ efforts going on in the industry right now... 3 to 4 in Minneapolis alone.

22. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be at an event in May where Delta's VP in charge of many of the e-commerce initiatives so it will be interesting to get it from the horse's mouth.

DonV.Smith and DeltaExpert like this.
  23. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, I'll watch for an update on the latest. :)

24. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bet he can show you the slide rule they use to calculate some "fixes" to DLMatic!

DonV.Smith likes this.
  25. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I think they should wait as long as possible to implemented something like this. Thanks for your continued substantive input onto internet avaitions forums.

Tkey, travelinmike33, Pharaoh and 4 others like this.