Delta Plane Choice Help - PHL to LHR or CDG

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by BRtraveler, May 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm new to the site, so my apologies if this is not posted in the appropriate area.

My wife and I are planning to head to LHR or CDG via Business Class in the summer using Delta Skymiles. We've never flown Business overseas. Does anyone have a preference of planes to choose from? Delta does now go direct to London and Paris via Philly. But they are smaller planes vs. those if we connect via DTW or ATL. Any help on the plane (or worth connecting to another airport) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

It would help if you told us what the choices were e.g. 757 vs 330 or 777? Also, PHL to ATL or DTW will had a few hours to the trip and be on smaller planes.

DTWBOB

3. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Hi DTWBOB,

Thanks for your reply. If we go direct from PHL to CDG, Delta has a 757-200. If we take a stop over, we can use a 767-300 in ATL. A stopover in DTW would have a 747-400. I did see a stopover in either JFK or ATL using an A330-300. Plus, Delta has Virgin Atlantic and Air France availability too. I want to surprise my wife with a Business Class ticket for our honeymoon but I'm not sure which to pick. Going direct seems the likely choice, but if one plane is a far better experience than the other, I'd consider it for sure. Any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mention LHR or CDG. If it were me, I'd probably take CDG as the taxes at LHR are going to be multiples higher.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta's 747's aren't going to be around much longer and flying on the top deck might be a neat experience.

DTWBOB

6. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks misman!

7. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DTWBOB, great point.

timfrost likes this.
  8. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    New Question:

We have decided to take the 747 from DTW to CDG and sit in the upper deck, thanks DTWBOB! My wife and I are headed to Paris for our honeymoon, is better to sit across the aisle (upstairs) or on the same side (i.e. one if front of the other)? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown Delta in Biz...but after flying similar aisle-access seats with US Airways, I would have to say sit across the aisle from each other. You could possible see and maybe carry on a conversation but if you sit behind each other, you would have to stand and lean over the seat surround in order to chat. Hopefully someone with BizElite experience can chime in and offer more insight.

I have flown upper deck in United Biz and have to say that it is REALLY neat being up so high, the private cabin, and the perspective one gets of the engines :-D

10. BRtraveler

BRtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Sean,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I've booked the seats in the upper deck and right now we're sitting across from each other on the outbound and return. It should be a ton of fun. Thanks again to you and the other responders. I do appreciate it.