Delta pilot deal allows it to add regional jets

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by USAF_Pride, May 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    link

The title of this article makes me cringe, but further reading it says the increase is from 76+ seats from "feeder carriers", a reduction of 50 seaters (woo hoo!!), and DL buying more narrow bodies directly (probably AirTrans 717's as WN doesn't want them)

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, darn, fewer 50-seat RJs. Wait, no, that's a reason to party! :cool:

The CR7/CR9/E75 fleet is really pretty comfortable, and service seems consistent enough with mainline. Or better…I had a SkyWest FA on LAX-SAN who really pushed PDBs (I'd already done LHR-CDG-ORD-DTW-LAX, so the last thing I needed was something other than water.) and took in-flight beverage orders prior to take-off so that she could quickly pour them and serve them during the super-short flight.

DiverDave, rwoman and USAF_Pride like this.
  3. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    rwoman and USAF_Pride like this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The part the really surprises me is that Delta needs the permission/agreement of pilots to expand the use of smaller/regional jets. I can't believe business decisions like that need to go through them.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline world is different than the real world. Just look at AA. I think they had similar problems.

6. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it does speak to the pathology of the airline industry as a whole.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DL pilot union (mainline) demanded this from DL as a way to stop them from outsourcing their jobs. I think all the legacy carriers have some sort of clause. Be glad they do this as it does/would have mean/t a lot more RJ's in your life.

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also thank the Delta pilots as being the original reason for the FC sections in CR9s and E175. The scope clause in the pilot contract limited those aircraft to 76 seats, although the aircraft can carry up to 90 I believe.

Scope is common in airline pilot contracts. Even Southwest pilots have scope such that Southwest cannot codeshare without agreement from the pilots union.

Continental pilots have been very difficult on scope, and have not allowed regional aircraft greater than 50 seats. That will make for a contentious integration and negotiation with the combined UA/CO pilots group versus COdbaUA. :cool:

USAF_Pride likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of these contract clauses were first negotiated when airlines in trouble asked employees, including pilots, for concessions sometimes in the form of wage and benefit cuts. In some cases, the union members also got some equity in the company in exchange for concessions.

10. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured Delta was gonna pick up the B717s. It just makes sense that if the DC-9s you're planning to retire are working well for you to just pick up a newer version of the same...

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any guesses on the number of FC seats (or the ratio) if the deal goes through?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any idea when they expect to retire the last DC-9? I don't think I have ever flown on one and might just have to see if it can be worked into a trip.

13. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found this on the airliners.net thread: Once refurbished, the aircraft will seat 110 passengers with 12 first class seats, 15 Economy Comfort seats and 83 economy seats.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    GRRRRRR....no better than the A319 and especially A320.

15. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, now, let's learn to be a happy ham sandwich. :cool:

David

MSPeconomist likes this.