Delta orders forty Airbus aircraft

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gantrioch, Sep 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite to apparent precedent-setting order this seems to me another Delta opportunistic airplane purchase. They have a strong recent history of dispassionate decisions that offer very clear economic benefits in capital and operating costs, avoiding any prejudice whatsoever. This looks to be exactly that and nothing more, in my opinion anyway. looking at the delivery schedules makes that even more evident because they're taking delivery during the tail end of production for these models, while most other recent order for these have been concentrated as early as the airline could get and been combined with order for NEO and/or A350's.

DiverDave, iolaire and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

"Richard Aboulafia, vice president of the Virginia-based consultant Teal Group, tells Bloomberg News that Delta's aircraft strategy has left it with one of the 'least heterogeneous' fleets in the industry. However, he says Delta appears to have used that as an advantage by seeking 'bottom-feeder prices [for] current or end-of-production-life jets, coupled with lots of unloved but perfectly good used jets'."

iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that was a misquotation because DL actually has one of the least "homogeneous" fleet rather than vv. LH employs a somewhat analogous strategy too, as do a couple of others. Operating both the A380 and B747-8 is a good case in point. LH did not pay anything remotely close to list on either of those. Frankly it would not surprise me were DL to order one or the other of those for operation on a few of their long, thick routes. Where they could use the capacity these two will be very, very cheap in relative terms.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I thought the same thing too, but then thought "Oh, it's probably the wrong word".

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Airbusses always feel to me like those plastic snap-together kit planes I played with as a kid.

:(

DiverDave and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    They are, just bigger versions. ;)

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A quick review of all the suppliers might make us think that all airliners are kit planes of sorts.

LETTERBOY and Gargoyle like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    True, though I think some kits (and kit builders) are better than others.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said. The maintenance and efficiency numbers do tell some of that story as does dispatch reliability, although operators and operating conditions do play a huge role in that. In the A vs B debate it is instructive, IMHO, that both are quite competent, with not much rational basis between them. That explains why they are so virulently competitive for every sale and why irrational adherents for one or the other are so prized by the two of them.

LETTERBOY likes this.