Delta Offering Double Medallion Qualifying Miles to Seattle

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DeltaExpert, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta is offering double MQM's and redeemable miles between Seattle (SEA) and Anchorage (ANC), Los Angeles (LAX), Las Vegas (LAS), Portland (PDX), San Diego (SAN), or San Francisco (SFO). First register, then book by December 31, 2013, and fly by October 31, 2014, to start earning.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the promo says no non-DL codeshares count so the email makes it sound like DL is adding new PDX and SAN service from SEA on DL Connection metal and increasing frequency on SEA-ANC.

This means war I think.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The small print on the offer has the following updates on new DL routes next year:

- One additional flight from Anchorage for a total of two daily nonstop flights beginning
    June 5, 2014.
    - Two additional flights from Las Vegas for a total of three daily nonstop flights beginning January 6, 2014, increasing to five daily nonstop flights on April 1, 2014.
    - Two additional flights from Los Angeles for a total of seven daily nonstop flights beginning
    June 5, 2014.
    - Four new daily nonstop flights from Portland beginning September 2, 2014.
    - Four new daily nonstop flights from San Diego beginning June 2, 2014.
    Six new daily nonstop flights from San Francisco beginning March 29, 2014, increasing to seven daily flights on June 5,2014

ballardFlyer likes this.
  4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Total speculation, but wonder if the DL-AS partnership was already dying behind the scenes (maybe for non-public reasons like rising cost of codeshare seats to DL or something like that) and this DL build-up isn't a "first attack" as much as the execution of a migration plan away from reliance on AS for feed due to the end of the partnership that they internally know was coming up?

Basically was DL addition of these competitive routes the cause of this battle or the effect of another non-public battle?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Total speculation on my part, but it's probably more likely that DL is doing this simply as an extension of the success they've had with international routes out of Seattle.

They're now up to or have announced something like 11 or 12 intercontinental routes out of Seattle. If enough of those are succeeding based on O&D traffic that they're going to stick, the obvious next step is to start slowly adding regional feed/onward connections into SEA and that's a lot easier to schedule and manage on own-metal rather than negotiating with a code-share partner who has their own priorities.

They may also think that there's a chance to turn SEA into a sort of/kind of fortress hub (they'd compete with AS, but it would be a fortress for intercontinental routes).

It's been so long since we saw a major carrier start a new hub that the process looks strange. But this must be what it used to look like. ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    where will DL get the gates for all the new flights?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the airport nearly as well as you do, but it looks like they're using gates in A, south satellite, and B if I'm reading the maps right. Maybe some of those in A are gates that AA/B6/whoever moved out of an UA isn't fully utilizing? Did they ever fully give up rights to the old NW gates?

I don't really know how SEA works in terms of airlines owning gate rights/just leasing/whatever. So I couldn't tell you how they're getting gates. Obviously they are though...

ballardFlyer likes this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes they are in B now too. I was surprised to see that since they've been S gates for years.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I occasionally see a DL widebody at gate A14 which is nominally a UA gate. The South satellite is where most DL flights operate but it seems to often get at capacity, and it is the only place where international flights can arrive since the FIS is in there - that includes flights from Mexico and from Canadian airports without pre-inspection, as well as Europe and Asia flights, so DL's domestic expansion won't have any priority for gates there. It's not a great experience for DL's customers, whether originating or connecting, if their gates are dispersed among S, B and A, but that seems like the only option. WN has been growing and has a good chunk of B gates. DL's club is at S, so not convenient for A or B gate flights.

SEA is moving toward more common use gates, and I think all the B gates that CO used to use were made into common use gates, and all the A gates are common use. So the answer for DL's expansion is probably whatever common use gates the Port has available, but again not a great customer experience when connections are not convenient and the club is elsewhere.

ballardFlyer and Misplaced Texan like this.
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's a lot like the rest of DLs hubs if it's impossible to make any kind of connection without a terminal change involving a train. ;)

ballardFlyer likes this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or an airport change in NYC ;-). Fair point, though in smaller hubs like SLC things are reasonably close. I cannot say I'm a frequent traveler at DL's hubs, but I don't recall trains needed at MSP either, and don't know about DTW. Certainly there is almost always a train involved at ATL

ballardFlyer and Misplaced Texan like this.
  12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an intra-terminal train at MSP and for those connecting to F or G, sometimes it can be useful.

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the time you don't need to use the trains at either DTW or MSP. If you understand the MSP layout, there are some walking shortcuts and moving walkways basically everywhere. DTW is simple because both are a long straight terminal with moving walkways. With DTW, if the tram is leaving when you arrive, you can basically walk between the pickup points in the same amount of time as waiting for the next one to arrive.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time we use the C Tram is if we arrive in B or A and have to go to a low G or F. Otherwise, the walk is great.

USAF_Pride likes this.