Delta moving BOS Shuttle flights out of the Marine Air Terminal

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta's LGA-BOS flights have operated out of the Marine Air Terminal seemingly forever. That stops on November 2, 2014. The flights will shift to Terminal C and be up-gauged from E75s to 717s.
    http://news.delta.com/2014-08-14-De...ts-from-LaGuardias-Terminal-C-Beginning-Nov-2

Why?

I'm pretty convinced it is about attracting business travelers in Boston looking to take advantage of the much better connecting options Delta now offers at LGA to nearby business destinations thanks to the US/DCA slot swap.
    http://blog.wandr.me/2014/08/delta-shuttle-boston-shuffle/

Flyer1976 and legalalien like this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it also be about increasing gate utilization so that AA cannot make any argument to get more gate space in the two terminals where DL hubs? Or even to propose that AA(US) moves its shuttle into the MAT and DL put everything under one roof?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suppose it could be, but if DL wanted to consolidate out of the MAT I bet they could make that deal in a heartbeat as just about anyone else would jump at the opportunity. And they don't want to give that up. It is a great competitive advantage for them. Plus, AA doesn't need more gates. They (and everyone else) is slot limited and there's not much which could be done to consolidate the AA/US flights otherwise. Maybe have UA move to the US gates in C and put US in the C pier of the central terminal could work, but I'd have to check how many gates are involved in that swap.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way the airlines are laid out now at LGA is pretty crazy after the mergers. The fact that there are few connecting passengers means it doesn't matter all that much to passengers, except perhaps in IRROPs, but it must make operations a pain for the airlines, and increase their staffing costs.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL is trying to build connections. That's why they're moving the BOS flights. UA is mostly consolidated at this point. Only AA/US have issues, really. And they're not ready to consolidate vis a vis staffing cuts/inefficiencies yet anyways.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't there still Eagle flights on UA's C concourse? And DEN & IAH flights on the A concourse? I didn't they got it together. Also there had been a plan to build a club entrance behind security and then I was told that was nixed. When US & AA integrate they will have a pretty incoherent layout, especially if they crossfleet.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, AA has flights on the C & D piers of the CTB. UA only uses the A pier sparingly now; CLE and DEN had some departures today from there. IAD, IAH, ORD and some DEN were out of C. But the front counter and clubs consolidated so having a few employees go over to A to push a couple flights isn't all that inefficient versus everyone on the C concourse.

I have not hard about the nixed plans for the new club entrance. Has the PANYNJ changed their intentions with the terminal upgrades required to support it?

AA & US will be split badly. But it is mostly O/D traffic for them, too, so not as big an issue. Annoying, but not insurmountable. US appears to have 9 gates in the C Concourse. UA has fewer than that in the C pier of the CTB so unless AA/US come up with a way to drop some more flights (some of which will happen by the merger divestitures later this year, but probably not enough) I don't know that having them trade is sufficient to make it work.