Delta Mistake Sale- missed opportunity- place to vent!

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by MLW20, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am sure many members got in on the crazy Delta Europe sale or at least read about it. I had some issues and missed out on a flight deal.

I had a flight from JFK-CPH for 2/17-221 for two at $304 total. I entered my credit card info, emergency contact info and even picked our seats! After picking the seats I hit purchase and all of a sudden it says how the price has changed! I don;t get how the price can change after all of that....
    Can someone explain how I could get to pick seats and then have the price change?

So I called Delta to complain and the rep more or less said she did not believe me about the price, had me on hold and verified it. She had it available the day before i could go or for $172 each on a connecting flight the dates I wanted. She told me to go online to book that option.... I go online- have the flight for $345 for two of us- all details in but we skipped the emergency contact & seating- I hit purchase and once again the flight is up in price!

This seems like such BS. Did anyone else have similar problems?

2. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your calling probably further alerted the Delta reps to get rid of the deal ... isn't the first rule never to call?

SuperEly, bobsgt, lin821 and 5 others like this.
  3. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    +1 this is probably why the deal went dead so fast..

Biu and k2o like this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

meecks likes this.
  5. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a joke, right? Surely you didn't really call DL....

6. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...I was withholding that kind of reaction because in a way, I was really hoping that the OP was just trolling or just kidding to get a rise out of people here since this is the "place to vent" thread. But somehow I have a sinking that isn't the case, and OP actually may have called.

If true, the question to the OP is, what were you hoping to accomplish by calling Delta? It sounds like you could've simply played around more with the dates online and succeeded in snagging the deal instead of wasting precious time talking to the agent. Agents don't have the power to issue you a ticket a price that you claim you saw online. If it's purely for complaining about how bad Delta is, you can wait to do it on a day when an active deal isn't happening, no?

7. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just assumed everyone in here would know not to call about these deals until they were gone. How exactly did people who don't know the first rule end up getting beta invites to this site? Just asking.

8. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you enjoy making enemies fast?

Xyzzy, UNHBuzzard and Sean Colahan like this.
  9. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    That often happens because the airline and/or its contracted parties has already put in a change of price (to a higher price in this situation) or the relevant booking class/inventory has been booked in the interim and/or become otherwise restricted.

Calling the airline in this kind of situation is -- at best -- useless and -- at worst -- counterproductive for customers.

10. whitedoor
    Original Member

whitedoor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch.
    Maybe a tread on what not to do ?

lin821 and secretsea18 like this.
  11. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    since this is supposed to be a kind and gentle place, i'll use this thread as a teaching opportunity.

when there's a deal afoot, one of those 'holy cow i can't believe how low this price is' deals, you DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE (or HOTEL chain) until the deal is confirmed dead--i.e., it's been dead for a day or so. you don't want to be the person who alerts the airline to a mistake they've made, you want instead to be the guy who allows more people to get in on the deal. here's what you do:

you book the deal, as fast as you can, at whatever dates you can get that work for you. if you can't find dates that work for you, you DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE, you try to find other dates. if you have trouble booking, or trouble with the website, or the deal dries up while you're trying to book, you DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE. you pm or call one of your mp or ft friends, or you post in the thread where you found out about the deal in and ask for help. you DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE.

after you've booked your own trip, you call or email your friends and relatives, you tell them about the deal, and tell them to book whatever dates they can get, and you tell your friends and parents DO NOT CALL the airline until you tell them it's okay.

if we work together on this, we'll find deals and they'll last awhile, so we can all get in on them.

JordyC, Jim R., lin821 and 7 others like this.
  12. jb831
    Original Member

jb831 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish there was a "dislike" button for the OP's post.

DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE.

Sam Axe, UNHBuzzard and bobsgt like this.
  13. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Karenkay for reminding me of this before I jumped on the OP.

That being said, please remember "DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE"

karenkay and Sean Colahan like this.
  14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    We need to have an "Boo-Hiss" button, next to the Like button. ;)

bobsgt, Tao Lin, karenkay and 2 others like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe that airlines wouldn't look at, say, the twitter feed from airfarewatchdog to pick up information about mistake fares (saw quite a few tweets from them on this "sale" yesterday). Or, for that matter, the FT MR forum.

MLW20 likes this.
  16. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only call the airline if you own it. Are you one of the major shareholders of DL?

buschoi, EYK and bez7 like this.
  17. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shock therapy session wouldn't hurt either! [​IMG]

18. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    :mad:
    Triple dog :mad:

19. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG...............DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE....................

I got JFK>CPH $151 ai without calling the airline

Sean Colahan likes this.
  20. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

21. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a Troll button? Or I H8 U button?

22. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps anyone signing up for MP (or FT, for that matter) should have to 'initial' a one page screen saying in HUGE letters 'DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE'.

I can recall my early days on FT (as a lurker). I saw the stickies, but honestly, we're all busy, and some of the stickies were cumbersome, overwhelming, occasional broken links...I'm sure "DON'T CALL' was buried in one of them, but I would never have found it.

Actually, now that I think about it....maybe that's one answer to slowing the leaks about deals on MP - no visibility of the forum ever without logging in. I can think of at least one mistake fare that I distinctly remember catching when I wasn't logged in. When I first started lurking, if I'd been forced to log in, I might or might not have continued to visit the particular forum (this is true for me anywhere on the internet).

bobsgt, Bikeguy, k2o and 3 others like this.
  23. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know and agree with the do not call idea however the deal according to Twitter was dead at this point even though the mistake prices were showing.
    It's not like AFWD and other's were not posting like crazy on Twitter for about 3 hours about this deal... And it's not like Delta doesn;t have a presence on there.
    Also I find it funny that I could post something like this and get so much feedback, but when other interesting topics are suggested, there is little feedback! It seems like people are always up for bashing.

24. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had 2 tickets booked CLT-AMS for $488 ai and after I entered in my information and hit confirm the price changed to $1200+.

Too bad my job gets in the way of travel planning. I could have grabbed several trips if I didn't have to wait after 5:30pm to start looking. Oh well. next time....

secretsea18 likes this.
  25. NYC101
    Original Member

NYC101 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yuck, missed this one as well. It may have lasted longer if we kept it low-profile. Agree that FT and MP should only be open to ppl who's registered.

secretsea18 likes this.