Delta might be pulling out of Liberia

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by WilliamQ, Jul 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201407100916.html?viewall=1

Liberia: Delta Pulling Out of Liberia - EJS Plea Team Dispatched to the U.S.
    BY RODNEY D. SIEH, 10 JULY 2014

http://allafrica.com/stories/201407100916.html?viewall=1

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    ‘WEAK PASSENGER DEMAND’: DELTA EXPLAINS WHY IT QUIT ON LIBERIA

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.co...delta-explains-reason-for-quitting-on-liberia

“Due to weak passenger demand, Delta confirms that effective this fall it will suspend its service between Monrovia to New York-JFK via Accra, Ghana. The last eastbound service from New York will be on August 30, 2014 and the last westbound service will depart Monrovia on August 31, 2014. Delta is working to re-accommodate passengers impacted by this decision. Delta is grateful to the Liberian Government for its support since Delta began service in 2010. Delta continues to operate daily nonstop service between Accra, Ghana and New York-JFK.”

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.co...delta-explains-reason-for-quitting-on-liberia

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Copying an entire story is rarely considered fair use under copyright rules.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I also recall the part about giving full credit and providing the original link for the story follow-ups is considered acceptable. This might be a grey area especially if I am a blogger but if this is not the accepted practice here, I would be happy to provide only partial extracts.

On the other hand, I believe simple rewording someone else story to sidestep copyright infringement would be a bigger concern hence I usually demonstrate clearly that I am not the original author and the original links are clearly provided..

5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also numerous apps that pulls in blog post, tech articles etc into the app and is presented in mobile and in exact wordings but with the option to click through. Those are arguably even more in violation (especially if it gets revenue through ads) but seemingly is accepted.

Again, if MP frowns on this practice,, I can change but I was trying to give the article justice, the readers convenience and still the option to visit the original site.

My 2 cents

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its appropriate to copy a few key paragraphs and let people click through once they know if the link has something that interests you.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally not. Just providing a link to the original source typically does not meet the terms of fair use for copyrighted material either. Indicating you are not the author is very useful. Providing a link is, too. But neither is sufficient to justify posting the entire story here as a copy from the original.

As a general opinion, I also think it is more valuable to share some personal insight on why the story seems important enough to share with the community rather than just creating a bulletin board of link out to other news. Discussion is better than headlines.

WilliamQ and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Everyone else is pretty spot on. Using 2-3 paragraphs is generally the most you want to do and then provide a link to click through. It's not just an issue of us frowning on the practice, it's a broader copyright issue. We get requests to take things down occasionally.

I do personally enjoy when members give their personal opinion of the article (or subject discussed), but that is of course not mandatory - just nice in a forum to spur discussion.

10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:

Got it. I do appreciate that the lesson was passed along in a pretty "nice way" although I will not for a minute lessen the importance and seriousness of the advice. Moving forward, I will certainly change my style of sharing on MP.

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing the "official" view. Lesson learnt.

12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Roger. this relates very well to another recent thread in MP... I clearly did not read T&C in general until I run afoul of them.

*Still have not yet but I am assuming once I click through.. I will be greated with languages that clearly what I have been doing is not acceptable here on MP.

My bad... :(