Delta Medallion gifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jwkendrick12, Dec 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jwkendrick12

jwkendrick12 New Member

Status Points:
    Interested in finding a medallion "gift" for next year..can anybody help or put me in touch with someone willing...

thx

swazzie likes this.
  2. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love that gift too.. :)

vickers and skyvan like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Why would someone give up a choice benefit to help some stranger who apparently joined MP just to beg via this post/thread??

2. Selling or bartering status gifts would be a good way for a DL elite to have his/her own account closed, thereby losing their own status and miles.

adrianors, Newscience, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excuse me... Is this the line for the free Medallian Status?

mht_flyer and adrianors like this.
  5. jwkendrick12

jwkendrick12 New Member

Status Points:
    Wow - didn't know I would get such a hostile response. My apologies. I was never under the impression that somebody would give this up for free. I have traveled for a long time w/status and was just trying to get status so that it would be easier for my wife and little boy as they have challenges where this kind of benefit would be helpful. Thanks for assuming the worst - awesome - Merry Christmas...

6. jwkendrick12

jwkendrick12 New Member

Status Points:
    Dude - don't be an idiot

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    so this isnt the line?

Newscience and adrianors like this.
  8. jwkendrick12

jwkendrick12 New Member

Status Points:
    Wow - didn't know I would get such a hostile response. My apologies. I was never under the impression that somebody would give this up for free. I have traveled for a long time w/status and was just trying to get status so that it would be easier for my wife and little boy as they have challenges where this kind of benefit would be helpful. Thanks for assuming the worst - awesome - Merry Christmas...

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know you can pay for better seats and priority boarding, right? If you don't have status anymore and don't want to mileage run then this might be the way to go from now on.

Newscience, adrianors and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I don't think she was deliberately trying to be hostile, just trying to be informative. This member is esteemed here and also is a TalkBoard member at FlyerTalk. Her points were helpful in trying to provide some advice within a travel community. In a travel community the benefits and rewards are the sharing of information, advice and social exchanges. But like many communities, there is the expectation that any member gives and takes, not just takes. I'd say that your chances will be extremely increased if you were to show your positive intent and begin to participate here with the experiences of your long time w/status. I have no doubt that good things come to those who share.

Again, this is a well known member across several communities and whose goal was rather to provide constructive advice rather than be hostile. I hope you can accept her reasoning and truly she's been among the first to always wish me a Merry Christmas as i pass that along to you—Merry Christmas as well, and nothing but good tidings to all.

11. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy... even without P3.. You rock! :D Merry Christmas (in advance)!!

mht_flyer, Newscience and vickers like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Rules of the program are that you can't give things like status in exchange for something. The medallion could lose all their status and accumulated points for selling or trading rewards, and if one were to gift the status to a non-relative, it would be to someone they already had a friendship, or at least a track record, with. DL monitors this stuff closely, and they monitor these boards, and we presume they try to catch a rule violators.

MSPe was just pointing that out, nothing hostile in the response. Brief with economy of words, perhaps, but it was just the facts.

Newscience likes this.
  13. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) If you earn status with United, you can choose a family member to have the same status. There are rules that limit this.

2) One learns something everyday: MSPeconomist is a she!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  14. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having read this thread, I think you're bold for asking, @jwkendrick12 and I hope you do come back and post here elsewhere and prove that you didn't join just to request the status.

I speak from experience. My first post on another forum in early 2014 was to politely request that someone grant a US Airways Silver Preferred Trial out of the goodness of their heart with the clear note that I had every intention of paying on my own if no one replied. I had seen members offer the trial for free before on that forum so I thought the request was fine, but it was quickly deleted with the charge that I was trying to sell or barter status, which was false. I ended up paying for and completing the trial, which granted me Silver status thru Feb 2015. After more flying and credit card spend, I'm now Silver thru Feb 2016 (which will turn to AA Gold in 2Q 2015). I didn't join the forum just to request the status. I've posted a few more times in that forum specifically to the trial, US in general, and manufactured spend card topics, but I've since become active in communities that are a better fit for my personality.

In hindsight, I see that my post on that forum (as well as your post above) may be seen as no different than someone whose first post in a forum is to advertise their blog or referral link. Yes, the intent may be to get something for little or nothing (as most people in our hobby do, let's be honest), but it isn't begging or trying to get anyone in trouble. Would I make another post of that nature again? No.

However, if someone legally offers something that I can use for free, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring. And I'll definitely contribute to the community as best I can in the meantime.