Delta Let Someone Steal My Luggage And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sarah-kurchak/delta-stolen-luggage_b_2277859.html

Just over a week ago, someone waltzed into the baggage claim area of McCarran International Airport, yanked my suitcase from the carousel and disappeared into the night with my well-cultivated collection of dresses, cardigans, Judas Priest merchandise, and size four shoes.

Because I lack vision, I thought that this was a bad thing.

The staff at Delta Airlines, with their tough love approach to customer service, were more than willing to help me see the error of my ways. While other airlines might mollycoddle customers with profuse - and maybe even genuine - apologies for permanently losing an entire suitcase full of their worldly possessions and cash vouchers to cover any undue expenses, Delta prefers to address the very heart of the issue and offer you Important Life Lessons about materialism and the impermanence of life.

"It happens," the woman behind the counter callously told me when I asked her if it was really possible that someone had stolen my baggage right off the carousel. And then she handed me "The Bag."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sarah-kurchak/delta-stolen-luggage_b_2277859.html

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to "real" customer service.:mad:

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, poor little Sarah Kurchak. :rolleyes: Lame article.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only solution here would be airport staff checking bags to claim tags as they leave...could you imagine the outrage then that pax may have if they had to do so?!

In this instance, DL did not lose the bag, but it was taken after delivery at the airport.

I agree it's garbage that someone stole the bag and, perhaps, the baggage agent could have been more sympathetic, but it does happen. Thieves will operate anywhere they see an opportunity...:rolleyes:

If it's an issue, the LV police should be doing something to address it...

LETTERBOY and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted this on FT..curious to see the reactions there as well. :)

sobore likes this.
  7. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX does this or, at least, used to.

It isn't clear from the blog post why she thinks it was stolen at LAS and not just lost by Delta.

sobore likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had this happen at LAX (DL or AA) ever...and been going back and forth since 1998. ;)

Also, from the article:

sobore likes this.
  9. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had it happen with UA, though I have not checked a bag with them arriving at LAX in a while.

And I know she said someone waltzed in and yanked her bag off the carousel, but it wasn't clear that she actually saw this happen or just assumed it. Even if she saw it, wouldn't she be better off just filing a claim saying that her luggage didn't show up? (I admit to not being familiar with what Deltas's conditions of carriage say re: baggage and hope never to have to be.) I have, however, had a bag permanently lost by BA, presumably stolen at LHR, so I know about the t-shirt.

sobore likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years when I'd fly UA to SJU, they'd match claim tags to the bags one was walking out with. Just recently flew US into SJU and was surprised that we didn't need to produce bag claim tags when leaving the baggage claim area.

11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a lot nicer when you get the bag because you're stuck at SLC overnight and DL puts you up in a hotel, gives you two meal vouchers and places and upgrades you on the first flight in the morning.

12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX checked baggage tags back at least in the 90s, but haven't done it in quite a while in my experience.

David

skyvan likes this.
  13. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this a law enforcement issue, or a lost bag issue? Maybe Delta knows that the bag got put on the conveyor belt (since the bag's tag was scanned when it was de-planed), and therefore doesn't know who picked it up from the conveyor belt. It might even have been the owner, who is trying to defraud Delta!

But, I think we've seen a gradual ramping up (no pun intended!) of law enforcement in airports. Like much LE, they don't follow predictable patterns or announce all of their strategies. But, I've noticed more cameras in baggage claim areas, more uniformed personnel wandering through those areas, and fewer 'outside' people (like taxi and shuttle drivers) in the terminal. It would seem airports realize there is a problem and are trying to stamp out thieving rings.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it up to the airline to decide whether a bag tag match should be implemented, or is it a "feature" of the airport?

15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I can't remember last time I was checked. Remember they used to always do it but never nowadays.

16. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew into SAN recently with a checked bag and was standing quite near the chute where the bags appear. I saw a young man take my suitcase and set it down and prepare to take the next bag that his "colleague" pointed out to him as another one of theirs, and if I hadn't been watching carefully would have lost my bag as well. I yelled at him that it looked like mine and to please check the name on the tag (so the folks nearby would hear) and he complied and gave it to me. (Yes it was a black bag but with colored ribbons tied to the handle to identify it easier). Maybe an honest mistake, but I don't think so.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember that PHX did this back 10-12 yrs ago, but not in more recent trips there.

On that recent reality show about MIA seems it is a big issue there too.