Delta leads in customer complaints

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rate (and therefore total number) of complaints against Delta was higher than any other domestic airline. Delta's rate was 65% above the average. Overall, largest complaint rate concerned overbooked flights. Baggage handling complaints are down because fewer passengers checked luggage last year. (This was just reported on cable news.)

2. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next we will see Delta advertising

We're Number 1!!! :eek:

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    In related news, all US airlines had 683 complaints in January 2011, against nearly 47m enplanements. Boy, airline customers must be pretty happy!

5. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep climbing indeed!

bakedpatato and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    BEST IN CLASS.

(Now I just need to find some stars to put on both sides.)

David

BamaGirl likes this.
  7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or resigned. Why complain about service as expected (even if bad) when you feel that no one cares or will do anything.:(

DiverDave likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So being #1 is good news for Delta because, unlike passengers on other airlines, we're still hopeful of improvements and thus bother to complain?

Actually, these were complaints made to the government, not the airlines. Therefore, I suspect that these tend to be the result of particularly egregious situations.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  9. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this is one part of the overall AQR 2010 survey that was released today. This is done every year by two professors based on DOT stats, including on-time rates, mishandled bags, overbookings, and customer complaints. Delta actually improved in 2010, moving up from #15 in 2009 (out of 18 airlines ranked) to #7 this year. The 2010 overall AQR rankings and ratings are as follows (with their 2009 rankings in brackets):

1. Air Tran (2) -0.48
    2. Hawaiian (1) -0.58
    3. Jet Blue (3) -0.70
    4. Alaska (11) -0.94
    5. Southwest (5) -1.01
    6. US Airways (8) -1.17
    7. Delta (15) -1.22
    8. Continental (6) -1.23
    9. Frontier (7) -1.27
    10. SkyWest (14) -1.28
    11. American (9) -1.28
    12. United (13) -1.31
    13. Mesa (12) -1.53
    14. Comair (16) -1.56
    15. Atlantic Southeast (17) -1.72
    16. American Eagle (18) -2.82

Delta's on time performance dipped in 2010 to 77.4% (#13 of 16) from 78.6%. Mishandled bags improved from 4.89 to 3.49 per 1000 pax (#10 of 16), denied boardings improved from 1.12 to 0.41 per 1000 pax (#4 of 16), and had a relatively constant customer complaint rate of 2.00 vs 1.96 per 1000 pax (#16 of 16).

10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least our fleet isn't falling apart...;)

11. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Say what?

12. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    NOVEMBER 21, 2010

N670DN likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try flying BE on one of the horrid 767s. Or experience the MDs, complete with tiny old bins.

BamaGirl and n301dp like this.
  14. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is one of the many reasons I will never do a TATL on DL. LHR is the only city in the EU I can think of that DL offers a halfway decent seat.

Hopefully my AZ flight that is boarding soon (only 4 hours late) will have nicer staggered C seats than DL.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The A330 is quite nice.

16. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but at least no holes are opening up on DL flights at 36,000 feet...:p

DonV.Smith likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've flown TATL dozens of times in Y on DL 767's. They're quite livable. As to B/E, I prefer the DL 767 seats to the AF seats- I can never get the adjustments worked out right on those.

bakedpatato and DonV.Smith like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like AF because the seating is 2-3-2 in affaires on a lot of their aircraft. I've never done Y on a 767, but I find the BE seats much worse than the A330s and 747s and not even on the same planet as the 777-LR, which is wonderful..

bakedpatato likes this.
  19. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to agree. Most of my flights are with Delta, and go off pretty well. On time departures and arrivals. The Silver status does get me the benefit of having a place for my bag... and the occasional upgrade is typically comfortable. I won't have the legroom I could really use until I get upgraded regularly - but that's the case on most planes, so no sense holding that against Delta.

I think I was only impacted by weather and /or maintenance delays a few times, but largely that's under control and they've made effort to make up for those delays.

bakedpatato likes this.
  20. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was nice and let my partner have the J seat offered to me this weekend. He was quite happy as it was better than his seat in whY

21. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if we look at the legacies(US/UA/DL/AA)...US has the least complaints...then again their planes get shot at :eek::D
    Delta is doing fine; FL is soon to be no moar, HA doesn't fly into JFK/IAD(insert perpetually delayed aiport here) , B6 and AS are "small" and WN is WN.
    Not too shabby DL, not too shabby.

Exiled in Express and DonV.Smith like this.
  22. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anecdotally - I just got back from a trip to the new ECP (which is horribly inconvenient for just about everything in the city) and my connection from ATL to PHL was tremendously overbooked. I volunteered for a bump, which I didn't get, but was seated in a broken chair. The attendant was apologetic but unable to help given the situation, and I filed a complaint on my laptop during the flight.

Early this morning I received an email apologizing for the inconvenience and letting me know I'd be receiving a $50 voucher in a separate email. I haven't yet received it, but I feel like I was decently taken care of assuming it comes through.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  23. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would really like to see a chart breaking down the nature of the complaints in a bit more detail.

Not defending DL, just curious what kinds of things folks complain about most and whether or not they are things I consider significant. I'd like to see if they are issues I genuinely consider 'complaints' or if they are issues that are more 'unsatisfied wishes'.

I'm just a leisure 'Y' traveller. I (knock on wood) have been well-treated by DL. Certainly the only complaint I have (that I can reasonably expect the airline to address) is the mileage redemption issue. It's one thing to accept that most leisure travellers aren't going to find much value in SWUs that require buying an extremely high coach fare. It's a bit much when that is paired up with outrageously over-priced awards.

Generally speaking, seats, food, service in Y? Not a whole lot to differentiate one airline, overall, from another. I've gotten AVOD on most of my longhaul DL flights. I just did a * MR and got - eek! - overhead monitors even in business! I don't see any clear winner on all fronts all the time.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  24. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AQR is offensive in its awfulness. If I were the president of the either Purdue or Wichita State, I'd ask the authors to remove references to my school, to avoid embarrassing the institution.

Here you go:
    http://airconsumer.dot.gov/reports/atcr11.htm

Click on any month's report and go to pages 36 to 40. Frankly, the numbers are kind of all over the place. For example, look at the raw number of mishandled bags for Delta vs Southwest. Southwest mishandled roughly 16k more bags during January 2011 than Delta. Yet Delta received 28 complaints related to baggage, vs Southwest's 4. How much would you want to bet that a fair number of those 28 complaints were about baggage fees? The incredibly small number of complaints is problematic, too.

DonV.Smith and chollie like this.
  25. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! This is interesting reading. Not the best designed compilation from my standpoint. For example: baggage complaints included mishandled or lost baggage and complaints about excess baggage fees?

I also found the caveat about baggage handling - airlines vs. TSA - interesting. I would like to know who authored that little section - something to the effect that TSA and the airlines both handle the baggage, but the TSA handling of the baggage is very limited. Too bad they don't point out that TSA has an x-ray. TSA thieves have a pretty good idea what is in a bag when they open it; baggage handlers just have to hope to get lucky.