Delta launches ORD-CDG in October

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AF is passing off the operation of the code shared ORD-CDG route to DL starting in Oct 2011.

Quite an interesting development, since ORD is not a DL hub. This is their first non stop int'l out of ORD. Perhaps it signals an increasing emphasis on Chicago traffic?

legalalien, DeltaExpert and sobore like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, NW had some international service out of ORD, IIRC to NRT although perhaps KIX briefly. AFAIK AMS was always served by KLM however.

I can understand AF not wanting to handle only one flight per day from an airport that already has some staff and operations by a partner.

However, this is probably bad news for award and upgrade availability for DL FFs.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL is only putting its metal on ORD-CDG because of the metal-neutral JV. ORD-CDG is supposed to revert to AF metal come spring/summer 2012, though that will largely depend on how TATL traffic/yields recover. Going forward, I think DL metal on international flights out of ORD will most likely only be to substitute in smaller equipment to its JV partners' hubs (AMS, CDG, FCO). The only non-Skyteam/non-JV-related destination could be LHR, but that would be a llloooonnnngggg shot...

Incidentally, when I passed through ORD SkyClub the other day and talked to one of the agents, he mentioned that arrivals will obviously continue to be at the international terminal, but the departure to CDG will be from Delta's E gates (most likely gate E15 which can handle a 767).

DeltaExpert and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That makes sense, but smaller equipment could squeeze the award available, as MSPe points out above.
    That would almost certainly be my favorite club agent, Larry, since he is the generally the only male working the club. He's great, and very proactive, always running out to help at the gates if the gates get busy during the morning hours when the club is slow. He's the one who told me about CDG.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me that the availability issue might lie in the problem of DL often charging many more miles for awards than AF. It's often a lot easier for me to find a low level award on AF than on DL.

Gargoyle and icurhere2 like this.
  6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find this to be consistently true as well. Even if I book on the DL website, I"m more often than not on AF metal.

Dave

Gargoyle and SC Flier like this.