Delta last again for frequent fliers

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil.../05/delta-last-again-for-frequent-fliers.html

Delta Air Lines Inc. came in dead last for the second year in a row in a survey of how well airlines redeem frequent-flier rewards miles.

As the Atlanta Business Chronicle reported, consulting firm IdeaWorks Co. rated 23 major airlines on how often they award free tickets in response to Web site inquiries on redeeming frequent-flier miles.

The third annual Switchfly Reward Seat Availability Survey ranked Atlanta-based Delta (NYSE: DAL) 23rd among the carriers with an availability score, or success rate, of 27.1 percent.

Read More: : http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil.../05/delta-last-again-for-frequent-fliers.html

autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A quick look at the actual charts:
    http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/press/2012/press_release_68_reward_seat_availability.pdf

shows that the methodology is quite biased to a given type of outcome, so the more flexible program options are the more likely the score will decline. the simpler the program the higher the score, or so it seems to me.

It is easy to say nasty things about SM, but I know of few people who'd prefer, say, Avios to SkyPesos. This chart is not about frequent flyers, IMO.

autolycus and sobore like this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The methodology pretty much guaranteed that the pure revenue-oriented programs would finish ahead. I'm not going to argue that Delta's availability at the low levels is good. It's often not. However, to say that award tickets were only available 20-something % of the time is BS. Until the flight is full, you can almost always get an award ticket on Delta. I believe that if you're a GM or higher, you're guaranteed last seat availability, aren't you? Granted, it'll be at the ridiculous high level, but it's still technically available.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gary Leff did a pretty good piece on this a couple of days ago at View from the Wing and I think we know he is not the most ardent Delta advocate out there, to say the least. And, the biggest miss to me, is that they ignore the actual in-flight experience and day to day benefits of the programs.

Yes, I know the frustration of redeeming awards on Delta but also know that as an elite, they treat me wonderfully. I have 100% upgrade success this year on domestic flights and have actually been bumped up twice on international due to oversold in economy. Free economy comfort, no baggage fees or weight allowances that come into play, same day comfirmed changes for free, etc. etc.

These benefits are also part of the FF program and generally fall outside of most analysis conducted on the programs.

Honestly, I continue to think I should try other airlines since I've already earned Diamond through 2013, but who would I go to? I don't hear rave reviews about any of the domestic competitors but open to suggestions.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, jbc, I must confess.

I prefer Avios to SM. Avios have their uses. SM are simply [​IMG] best in class [​IMG] [tx Diver Dave for this gem]

Said it. Mean it. Will never apply for a DL SM CC. Those aren't worth the credit hit. But I will apply (again) for BA CC to tank up on Avios. And I'll credit my paid CX J sector to Avios.

Although Avios banditry means they are worthless for TATL core routes, compared with other FFP, they have their uses. Lat Am and intra-Oceania redemptions are excellent and I've been making good use of them to position myself for fuel-dumped itins and savage award subversions. I can use more.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy they're working for you. Try using them ex-South America. That does not work well. I'll eschew all the snarky comments. SM, OTOH, can be used easily for AF/KL, AZ, DL and KE. All of them, no hassle.

7. DCann

DCann Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to MilePoint but I'm a regular DL flyer and currently Plat.

Since most of my flights are solo, I've had pretty good experiences finding flights - esp. on short notice - that I want.

That having been said, I know flyers who travel with spouse/partner and family and do have trouble finding seats.

I guess it's dependent on what your needs are.

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    With sufficient flexibility, any legacy us carrier FF program can be lucrative. People have a way of illustrating differences with hyperbole that exaggerate differences.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y redemptions on LA for <650 mile flights- 9K roundtrip.
    MIA-LIM in J. 50K r/t.

Or does LAN have no award inventory? :confused:

Also, if you're in MIA, a nonstop J award costs the same number of Avios as AA miles, or less, to pretty much anywhere in South America.

Where the problem is is that Avios charge by segment, so multi-segment itineraries start costing lots. So they're not a panacea (especially if you are nowhere close to a oneworld hub). They surely are straightforward to use compared to SkyPesos, where the agents are clueless, the award calendar's perpetually broken and lies to you, and longhaul premium cabin award availability on DL metal out of North America's a bad joke (which means pushing you over to partners). When I came into a brace of Avios, booking on BA's website was easy as pie (and I've been able to use it to find CX inventory for AS redemptions too).

That being said, sure, you can use SkyPesos too, if you know the ins and outs...

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    All that you say is true...if you're originating in NA. How about originating is South America? Not so good. My points are not about origination in the US. I do not live in the US. I live in Brazil. That forces me into Brazil origination and booking. Availability looks OK often until i try to actually book it. Also, I fly point to point rather than fly eight hours extra plus connection time to go through SCL. That is rather akin to going LHR-JFK via LAX. Good for miles to accrue but not much else. I also do not fly Y but either C or F. Avios seem intended for people to fly Y on short haul, or go acros the North Atlantic. Of course I may be entirely in error.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You fall into the case of "nowhere close to a oneworld hub". Though you do get the advantage of no YQ ex-Brazil...

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough. The closest one is SCL, a four hour flight southwest of here, making it a truly inappropriate choice for any connection other than to IPC, SYD or AKL. Those connections work quite well.

13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I used Avios in western South America and it was great. LIM-CUZ-LIM in Y (no J) for 9K (vs a $450 fare). SCL-LIM one-way in J for 20K Avios (or 10K Avios + $130). While the 2nd redemption might not have been the greatest, sure beat having to pay $350 for a one-way in Y.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    With LAN they do usually work well (OW hub in SCL after all. and all three alliance programs are excellent for intra Southern Cone Y (7.5-15k miles generally) and decent J prices too.

15. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Intra-northern LatAm is also useful. I wanted to use Aviosss for BOG-SMR on Aires, and indeed, BA.COM showed it was available for good-value redemption. I just had no Avios left.... first time ever I'd wished for more of them. Had to use mega-juicy Starmiles instead on CM. Interestingly, I have AA miles but when I called AA and AAsked if I could redeem on Aires, I was told, no, Aires are not redeemable with AA. Even though it seems to be a 1W affiliate and I could even see it on BA.COM...ah, well, my point being, exactly, that Avios can be quite useful.

Bear in mind, I do not exactly have a reputation as an apologisssst for Aviossss :p

jbcarioca likes this.