Delta just burns me (then I learn it is actually some airline called Endeavor?)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jonspencer, Oct 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a Xmas day ticket for 8 AM which seemed damn early

Delta or Endeavor (whoever) decided this scheduled flight was not convenient for them and shifted me to a 6:30 AM flight

this has happened several times on my rare flights on USA airlines, they just totally screw you with no explanation at all :eek:

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what exactly should airlines do when they need to change a schedule? Never change a schedule without asking each and every passenger if it's OK first?

mht_flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Endeavor is the name of one of the regional airlines that operates Delta Connection flights.

jonspencer likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    changing my flight from 5PM to 3:30PM or 1PM to 11:30 AM would be fine but at that time of the morning it is just a total burn

I have flown Emirates a minimum of 4 times a month for 10 years and I do not recall any instance of them changing a flight time or did Singapore Air, Cathay or Qatar

so yes I think Delta is totally screwing me and reneging on our agreement after taking my $$$$ :eek:

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Then tell them the schedule change doesn't work for you and get your money back.

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you do not need your money back when you book a Xmas flight in January, you need your flight :)

I do like MP and other posters sharing their experience

on another post somebody got burned by UA re-scheduling and another poster said you could ring to request another flight

so I just rang Delta and to their credit they scheduled me on a later flight despite it being higher cost fare class :eek:

I am travelling a long distance for the Xmas holiday and only a three night stay, so I hate to make the time shorter and more hectic because of a random re-scheduling of a flight I booked long ago

eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That works too.

That being said, what you might think your "agreement" is and what you actually agreed to could be two different things. Your agreement is defined by Delta's Contract of Carriage.

CoCs make for enlightening reading (as in what airlines can and cannot do). Rule 3 of Delta's CoC:

As a rule, your remedy on schedule change that you don't find acceptable is for you to go "no, I don't accept the changes", and the airline either works with you to do an alternate accommodation (which is what happened in your case), or you get your money back if you can't come to an accommodation that works for you. But when Delta sells you a ticket, they are most certainly not guaranteeing you there won't be schedule changes. In fact, they explicitly say they won't guarantee scheduling.

But then again, how many times have we seen all that boring legalese mumbo jumbo in tiny print for terms of agreement/service/contract, and not bothered to read it, and just assumed that what we are buying/using is what it seems to be?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:

Schedule changes occur often. Have you even taken the time to call them and ask for a better time?

Bob H

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to read message #6.

10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my first reaction was not to telephone anyone as I was in Dakar, Senegal at the time

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
  12. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What’s a perfect fit for Delta can really, really suck for travelers. All of these schedule changes are NOT customer-friendly.

best line in above article, my thoughts exactly

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think those changes are potentially more disruptive than the one they hit you with. Changing from "first thing in the morning" to "really, really first thing in the morning" is less likely to mess up someone's schedule than changing from "end of business hours" to "middle of prime meeting hours" or from "after an early lunch" to "before any lunch".

eponymous_coward likes this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True that, and I bet Delta's computers aren't quite smart enough to know that Christmas Day is unlikely to have important business meetings- and who knows, someone flying on Christmas might have a really important business meeting...

DiverDave likes this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hazard a guess that a good number of the people traveling on Christmas day are only able to get away at the last minute to get home for Christmas, and might consider an early start a feature rather than a bug. These changes cut both ways.

eponymous_coward and WilliamQ like this.
  16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1
    ".. I'll be home for Christmas.."
    :)

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In DL's defense, normally they're really good about working with you to find convenient new flights after a schedule change unless it's only a few minutes. Agents can open inventory at no additional cost to you on any DL operated flight that's still selling seats, including DL Connection. Standard wisdom is to decide what new flights you want, call, and be nice.

FetePerfection likes this.