Delta in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by WilliamQ, Sep 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Minneapolis (MSP).
    One of my regular airports when I fly with Delta.
    Seems like Delta has great plans for the place.

Fleet upgrades
    Addition of routes
    http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/09/23/delta

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today the MSP airport commission talked about new plans to the media. Plans include more parkinng and an on-site airport hotel, plus three more gates for Humphrey.

Spirit is moving from T2 to T1 on January 1, which marks a shift back from the plan to have only SkyTeam--and, when officials said no, at least mostly legacy airlines and not LCCs--in Lindberg.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking forward to all these changes..
    I am assuming you are based in MSP given your handle.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    More parking is good as it can be a big problem when airport parking is full. The new garage (maybe it's small?) will open in 2015 with construction of more parking to start in 2016. All of this will be at Terminal 1, which DL uses, and that's good.

It would be great for (DL especially) connections if we get a hotel on airport property. I hope it will be attached to Terminal 1, but this hasn't been announced, nor any details like size or who will own and operate it. I'm hoping for something similar to the Westin at DTW.

More Terminal 2 gates would also be good, even though some Terminal 1 gates appear to be underutilized since the NW/DL merger.

What I'm not happy about is Spirit's upcoming move to Terminal 1. It could mean lots more clueless kettles in PreCheck security lines. In fact, I have a theory that the presence of budget and LCC carriers in the same concourse or terminal as my flight is a very bad thing. Perhaps the problem is that TSA assigns checkpoint staffing levels based on counting the gates, perhaps weighted by the size of aircraft, but forgets that Southwest, etc. turn around planes much more quickly than legacy carriers that must arrange for catering, etc. For a while, this was a problem at RDU and it has caused me to avoid BWI. DEN also has the problem of Southwest and DL being co-located in the same concourse.

cliburn and WilliamQ like this.