DELTA GOUGING-B.A. LESS "TAX"

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by stan, Apr 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always fly ath-jfk-ath and the so called tax in biz class was around $400.00, it killed me when I knew that jfk-ath-jfk was next to nothing -- now trying to book my reg ath-jfk-ath and the SO CALLED TAX ETC IS $758.00 --- I can go with BA who has the reputation for being the biggest gouger for"only" $ 600.00 -- why many hate delta!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless this is an award ticket what is being labeled as "tax" and what is being labeled as the fare is largely immaterial from the customer perspective. Whether the amount is buried in the "tax" (really the so-called fuel surcharge) or in the base fare, fares are set based on the all-in price that the airline wants to get from the ticket.

There's no "gouging" - just accounting. At worst there may be some misleading advertising based on the base price of the ticket, but recent changes in US law mandate advertising the all-in price. There may be specific points of price manipulation regarding corporate contracts, airport fees, award tickets, tax advantages, etc. but for a normal revenue ticket what matters is the bottom line price. If Delta were to go back to not charging fuel surcharges (as they did about a year ago) then the base fare would go up by the same amount and you'd pay the same total price for a ticket.

On an award ticket, the "International Origination Surcharge" is indeed a way for Delta to leverage this to get more money out of the consumer. It's not clear if this is your situation, though.

3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry if not clear i am speaking of an award ticket in biz class

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case, you're really out of luck throughout Skyteam. Delta imposes this fee to match what Flying Blue does for European originations. Not sure on other programs. The best advice is to try to originate from the US for awards if possible - if you regularly fly between jfk and ath, perhaps you can nest an award within a paid ticket for 2 sequential trips?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:

have two plans --
    1. use up my delta miles with --- doing a one way ATH-LH-JFK on Untd/LH or BA/AA etc --- Then starting my delta r/t trip in ny
    2. save delta miles since they never expire and just not use them for Europe
    the advantage in #2 -- easy to find flts on UA-LH AN BA/AA and do not need to put up with the broken delta search engine --

to me now Amex- MR is almost worthless

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Roughly speak (with a few exceptions like SAS EuroBonus) only US frequent flyer programs don't add fuel surcharges to awards.

But since European programs do, Delta adds them to itineraries originating in Europe. And to flights on several airlines, such as Malaysia and V Australia. It's not because Flying Blue does it, but on the theory that European members have few options for avoiding surcharges with the competition, so might as well.

And American adds them on BA... largely because BA award inventory is too good (though not as good as it was 6-12 months ago), AA redemption costs would otherwise be too high.

American adds a small surcharge on IB awards as well.

Only UA/US are major airlines offering premium cabin redemptions which are 100% fuel surcharge free. The final holdouts.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the charges, I find ex-Europe fares are often similiar...and, despite SkyTeam's obscene YQ and the UK's APD, revenue fares from Europe are often cheaper than fares ex-USA.

8. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    We all know delta web site is broken -- yesterday they wanted $758.00 tax-fuel etc on award ticket ath ny ath -today same tkt $550.00 -- I paid in past ( 2 months ago $400.00) -- never have a problem with a.a. u.a. easy to find seats for award -- delta never easy in anyway except if u will pay 300k for my same routing plus the fuel etc charge

9. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you expect? DL themselves have stated they are *best in class* Why disbelieve?