Delta from accra

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by polarbear1000, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. polarbear1000

polarbear1000 Member

Status Points:
    I was flying business class from Accra to new york recently. We arrived at check in 90 minutes before the flight was meant to depart. We were informed that check in closes 2 hours before. Very bad service on behalf of delta. Had to book British airways that night. Much better service. Will never fly delta again. Worst part is refund was not enough to cover ba ticket.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    boondr likes this.
  3. polarbear1000

polarbear1000 Member

Status Points:
    Ba closes 30 minutes before. More about understanding your clients needs. I would rather travel knowing that there is flexibility. Ie don't close gate 2 hours before

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that posting and following a checkin policy constitutes "bad service". Delta posts these checkin policies on their website publicly. From what I can tell BA does not, instead asking you to book first! This is somewhat customer-unfriendly and "bad service".

boondr and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you know, you travel with the airline policies you have, not the airline policies you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Sure, I often wish things were different than they are. In the meantime, I try to understand what the rules actually are to avoid harm to me or to choose my travel providers accordingly.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What did interest me was noting a 3-hour checkin policy at IST. That seems excessive, especially with checkin after security, and I swear I undercut that (although I believe I checked-in online and may have just been doing a docs check) when visiting in the fall. These long times are certainly easy to get caught out by.

7. polarbear1000

polarbear1000 Member

Status Points:
    Your comments are valid. A 2 hour check in versus a 30 minute check in makes my next booking to Accra a no brainier.

8. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA closes check-in a very strict 60 minutes prior to departure in Accra. I can't think of any longhaul carrier in Accra who close check-in any closer to departure than that and most are in the 60-90 minute range. Delta of course is the exception and 2 hours is an improvement on the 3 hour cutoff they used to implement when they first started operations.

boondr likes this.